Kumquats belong to a family of fruit-bearing trees called, 'Rutaceae'. They are small citrus fruits. They are about two-inches long and have a yellow or orange skin. The fruit is eaten whole and some people prefer eating it with the skin. They are similar to oranges in appearance.
According to historians, they were discovered in China, in the 12th century. Today, they are grown in China, Taiwan, Japan, Southeast Asia, Europe, and the southern part of United States. Kumquats are often used in food recipes, in order to give the dish a tangy taste.
Vegan Kumquat Recipes
Vegan recipes are especially for those people who love to eat greens and are not fans of meat.
- Kumquats, (thinly sliced, deseeded and chopped) 3 cups
- Red Onion, (finely chopped) 1 cup
- Cilantro, (chopped) 1 cup
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes, 1 tsp.
- Kosher Salt, 1 pinch
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add red pepper and cayenne to make it a little spicy.
- Wait for an hour and let the flavors blend.
- Make 2 cups of salsa. Serve it with your favorite chips and snacks.
Kale with Marinated Kumquats
- A large bunch of fresh kale
- Kumquats, 6
- Lemon Juice, 3 tbsp.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, (you can also use red wine) 3 tbsp.
- Olive Oil, 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Cut out the stems of kale leaves and wash properly. You can also remove the thick veins of the leaves if you want. Chop the kale leaves into strips.
- Wash and chop the kumquats into thin circles.
- In a bowl, add the kumquats and kale leaves. Mix them with lemon juice, salt, vinegar, and olive oil. Mix properly and allow the ingredients to marinate for a few minutes.
- Cook in a microwave for 45 seconds. Add black pepper according to taste. Serve warm.
Kumquat Orange Sunrise
- Kumquats, 12
- Oranges, (peeled) 6
- Cut kumquats and oranges into small pieces and squeeze them in a home juicer. Blend the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add ice and serve chilled.
Non-Vegetarian Kumquat Recipes
Fish with Kumquat Butter
- Soft Butter, 3 tbsp.
- Kumquats, (seed removed and finely chopped) 4
- Orange and Lemon Zest, 1 tsp.
- Fresh Ginger, (finely chopped) 1 tsp.
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
- Mint Leaves for garnish.
- Fish Fillet, 3 oz.
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp.
- Mix 2 tbsp. butter, kumquats, orange and lemon zest, ginger, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients with your fingers. Set aside for some minutes.
- Take a frying pan. Melt 2 tsp. of butter with olive oil on a medium flame. Add the fish fillets and cook it for 5 minutes. Ensure that both the sides of the fillet have been cooked until brown.
- Place the cooked fish on a plate and add the bowl of ingredients on the side. Garnish it with mint leaves.
Kumquat and Chicken
- Kumquats, (seeds removed and finely sliced) 11
- Chicken Breast, (properly rinsed and skin removed) 2
- Large Green Chillies, (cut in long slices) 3
- Salt to taste
- See that skin of the chicken is removed and sprinkle salt thoroughly.
- Cover the chicken with pieces of kumquat. Place the pieces under the chicken also. Add the chillies.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 400° F for an hour, until the skin is slightly brown and crisp.
- Serve hot.
- Eggs, 4
- Oil, 1 cup
- Sugar, 2 cups
- Kumquats, (chopped) 2 cups
- Chopped Nuts, 1 cup
- Cinnamon, 1 tsp.
- Flour, 3 cups
- Baking Soda, 2 tsp.
- Pineapple, (crushed) 20 oz.
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar and oil, and mix all the dry ingredients as well.
- Add the kumquats, nuts, and pineapples.
- Put it in a baking pan and grease it with oil and flour. Bake in a microwave at 350° F for an hour.
- Your cake is ready; serve it cold.