Everyone has heard of kimchi, it is a typical Korean side dish. But this cuisine isn't only about kimchi. It has a lot of variety, colors, flavors, and spices. Here are some delectable recipes.
Pajeon - Green Onion Pancake
- Green Onion, 1 bunch (chopped)
- Onion, ½ cup (sliced)
- Carrot, ½ cup (julienne)
- Shrimp, ¼ lb. (chopped)
- Scallops, ¼ lb. (chopped)
- Clams, ¼ lb. (chopped)
- Squid, ⅛ lb. (chopped)
- Water, 1 cup
- Flour, 1 cup
- Egg, 1
- Soy Sauce, 2 tsp.
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Sugar, ½ tsp.
- Dwen Jang or Korean Bean Paste, ½ tsp.
For soy dipping sauce:
- Soy Sauce, 3 parts
- Rice Vinegar, 1 part
- Green Onion, 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- In a bowl add all the batter ingredients and mix well. Add water in proportion and mix it with the ingredients.
- Add the seafood and onions to this batter and coat properly.
- In a large skillet, add the vegetable oil and heat it.
- Make a pancake of about 5 inches in diameter and fry it in the skillet.
- Serve it with a sauce or dip.
Kongnamool Bap - Rice with Soy Bean Sprouts
- Rice, 1 cup
- Bean Sprouts, ¼ cup
- Water, 1½ cup
- Soy Sauce, 4 tbsp.
- Sesame Oil, 1 tbsp.
- Garlic, 1 tsp. (minced)
- Green Onion, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Sesame Seeds, 1 tbsp.
- Wash and clean the bean sprouts. Boil it in salt water till they become tender.
- Wash the rice in cold water and soak it for 20 minutes. Drain and remove.
- Put the rice in a cooker with water and cook it for 20 minutes.
- After the rice gets cooked, top it up with bean sprouts and sauce.
- Serve it warm.
Dak Jorim - Spicy Chicken and Potato Stew
- Chicken, 2½ lbs. (boneless and diced)
- Potatoes, 2 (diced)
- Carrots, 2 (diced)
- Onion, 1 (sliced)
- Green Onions, 3 (sliced)
- Chilies, 2 (sliced)
- Salt, 2 tsp.
- Pepper, 2 tsp.
- Cheongjoo (Sake), 1 tsp.
- Gochoogaroo or Korean Chili Powder, 4 tbsp.
- Gochoojang or Korean Chili Paste, 4 tbsp.
- Garlic, 2 tbsp. (minced)
- Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Wash the chicken and marinade with salt, pepper, and cheongjoo for 15 minutes.
- Take a large dish and place the chicken in it with water and bring it to a boil. Leave enough water for cooking the vegetables.
- In a bowl add the sauce ingredients and mix them well. Pour this mixture over the chicken and cook it for an hour, till it becomes soft.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions, cook for another 20 minutes, till they are done.
- Finally add the green onions and chilies and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Serve it hot.
Soojunggwa - Cinnamon and Ginger Tea with Persimmons
- Cinnamon Sticks, 10
- Ginger, 5 pieces
- Water, 10 cups
- Sugar, 2 cups
- Pine Nuts, ¼ cup
- Persimmons, 10 (dried)
- Take a big dish, place it on high heat and add water, cinnamon, and ginger. Allow this to boil for 90 minutes.
- Add the sugar and allow this mixture to cool in the refrigerator.
- Add the persimmons and pine nuts. Serve it cold.