Sausages are made with different types of ground meat, generally beef and pork or a combination of meats along with spices. It is then stuffed inside a casing made with the intestine of a pig or it is sometimes synthetic. Different cuisines have their own versions, and traditionally, it was made to preserve meat and to use up meat from the organs, intestines, and fat. Sausages are cylindrical in shape and they are quite versatile and can be used for preparing a number of dishes. They can be either raw, where the ground meat is uncooked, or semi cooked, or cured. Kielbasa is a kind of Polish sausage made of ground beef or pork and it can be served boiled, grilled, or baked. It is traditionally served grilled with fried onions or added in soups and stews.
Basic Kielbasa Sausage
This is one of the most simple and basic of all kielbasa sausage recipes and it requires very less effort to make. This recipe does not use too many spices and hence, it is a mild flavored version and is not too spicy.
- Ground pork, 1½ pound
- Ground beef, ½ pound
- Garlic, 4 cloves (minced)
- Sausage casing, 1
- Black pepper, 2 tablespoons (freshly ground)
- Water, ¼ cup
- Salt, 1 tablespoon
- Brown sugar, 2 teaspoons
- Marjoram, ½ teaspoon
- Allspice, ½ teaspoon
- In a large bowl, knead the pork, ground beef, and garlic together so that everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Now, add the salt, freshly ground pepper, marjoram, allspice, and brown sugar, and knead the mixture with your hand.
- Add the water slowly into the mixture so that you get an even texture.
- Stuff this mixture into the casings and boil in water for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the water and enjoy it either grilled or baked.
Spicy Kielbasa Sausage
This recipe can be used as an appetizer and served with sauerkraut.
- Pork shoulder, 5 pounds (boneless)
- Water, 1 cup
- Paprika, 2 tablespoons
- Brown sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Black pepper, 1½ tablespoon (freshly ground)
- Garlic,1 tablespoon (minced)
- Celery seeds, 1 tablespoon (ground)
- Salt, 1 tablespoon
- Marjoram, 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder, ½ teaspoon
- Thyme, ½ teaspoon (dried)
- Trim the fat from the pork shoulder and cut it into small chunks.
- Grind the chunks of pork shoulder in your food processor until you have ground pork.
- Place the ground pork in a big bowl and add the minced garlic, marjoram, paprika, ground celery seeds, coriander powder, nutmeg powder, dried thyme, black pepper powder, brown sugar, and salt. Knead all the ingredients well until everything is well combined.
- Pour the cup of water over the mixture and then knead once more.
- Once everything is thoroughly mixed, stuff the mixture into the casings and allow it to dry. Make sure that you do not over stuff the casing or your sausage will burst.
- Now put the sausage in boiling water and boil them for about half an hour to forty five minutes.
- Remove from water and allow the sausage to dry. You can now have it baked, grilled or fried.
- Store the sausage in the refrigerator if you are not using it immediately.
Making kielbasa at home is very easy, although it is a time-consuming process. It tastes much better than those brought from the store and you can enjoy eating them in a number of ways.