Italian cuisine is one of the most popular and loved in the world. No matter how stuffed I am, if you happen to mention a pasta or a gelato, I am sure I can always have some extra space in my stomach created for that. Just like the pasta, pizza, and lasagna, Italian desserts are also quite popular and quite a treat. For all those who want to familiarize themselves with these, I have an list right here for you. Read on, but just see that your salivary glands stay in check!
List of Italian Desserts
List of Italian Desserts
- Anisette Cookies: These are traditional Italian cookies flavored with anise extract. You can have them with a lovely frosting on top.
- Biscotti: Biscotti or biscotti di Prato are Italian biscuits made with hazelnut and aniseed. They are also available in different flavors, like nuts, lemon, and also orange rind. The specialty about these recipes is that they are cooked twice and therefore can be had with wine or coffee.
- Cannoli: This is a Sicilian pastry that consist of tube-shaped shells made of pastry dough. The filling inside the shell contains ricotta cheese and succade. The literal meaning of cannoli or cannulicchi is not bigger than a finger. The filling inside just melts in your mouth, with a lingering flavor.
- Cassata: This is among the traditional desserts from Palermo, Italy. Cassata contains a round sponge cake with fruit juice or liqueur. It also has a layer of ricotta cheese on it that makes it even more difficult to resist.
- Crostata: It is a type of tart. It can be filled with fruits, like cherries, peaches, or apricots. Another yummy addition to this is pastry cream and ricotta cheese. When topped with fruits, this dessert becomes crostata di frutta.
- Gelato: This is one of the most the most popular desserts, and it is easy to make and eat as well. The reason behind this is that apart from being sinfully delicious, it does not add to the extra pounds. Gelato is a variant of the traditional ice creams, with only 4 to 8 percent butter fat.
- Granita: Granita is a Sicilian dessert made from ice sugar and different flavorings. It can be as fine as a sorbet or a little more coarse, but in any case it tastes amazing.
- Pandoro: This is a sweet Italian bread made especially during Christmas and New Year. It is served with vanilla-scented sugar that resembles the snowy peaks during Christmas.
- Pastiera:This is an Italian cake with its origin in Naples. It is a traditional dessert made with ricotta cheese, pastry cream, and eggs.
- Semifreddo: This is my favorite Italian dessert which consists of ice cream cakes, custards (semi-frozen), and tarts. The whipped cream topping is just mouth-watering!
- Sfogliatelle: These are shell-shaped pastries that resembles leaves. It is topped with frosting and sugar to give it a perfect look.
- Tiramisu: This is an irresistibly rich and creamy dessert. A tiramisu can lift your spirits and take you to a new world of joy! It is a sort of cake made with biscuits and dipped in coffee, with a layer of mascarpone and flavored liqueur and cocoa.
- Zabaione: This is a dessert made using egg yolks, sugar, and wine. It is like a custard that is traditionally served with figs.