The oldest method of making homemade ice cream was to mix the ingredients in a bowl and just freeze it in the freezer. Then there used be the wooden ice cream maker, with a metal container in it, into which went the ice cream ingredients, which was then turned by a handle after the surrounding area, between the metal container and the wooden bucket was filled with ice and rock salt. We had great fun making ice cream using this equipment, during the sizzling summer holidays, back when we were kids. Of course, these days you get good electrical ice cream makers.
There are many advantages of using an ice cream maker to make homemade ice cream such as having fresh ice cream whenever you feel like it, choosing your own ingredients and making your own flavors, avoiding unhealthy ingredients like additives and artificial colors, using fresh fruit, and so on.
Creamy Banana Freeze
- Bananas, 3 (ripe)
- Cream or milk, or a combination of both, 375 ml
- Sugar, 100 g
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Put the bananas in a food blender and puree them, and then put them in a bowl.
- Now, add the cream/milk and sugar, and mix them all well.
- Put this blended mix into an ice cream maker, and let it freeze according to the instructions given by the manufacturer.
Minty Choco-Chip Cream
- Cream, 250 ml (heavy)
- Milk, 250 ml
- Plain chocolate, 125 g (grated into small chips)
- Castor sugar, 75 g
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- Put the milk and sugar in a saucepan and heat it gently, until the sugar dissolves. Then put this aside and let it cool.
- Once the milk cools down completely, add the cream and stir it in, and then add the peppermint essence.
- Now, put this into the ice cream maker and freeze it according to the instructions given by the manufacturer. When the ice cream begins to thicken, remember to add the chocolate chips.
Frozen Choco-Cheesecake Delite
- Cream cheese, 8 oz (softened)
- A bar of dark chocolate, 3 oz
- Cream, 2 cups (heavy)
- Half and half, 1 cup
- Eggs, 3
- Sugar, ¾ cup
- Melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave. Then let it cool to room temperature.
- Now, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend them well.
- Put this blend into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the instructions given by the manufacturer.
Merry Strawberry Melt
- Cream, 500 ml (heavy)
- Milk, 250 ml
- Sugar, 100 g
- Strawberries, 2 cups
- Egg yolks, 3 (beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Mash the strawberries along with half of the sugar in a bowl, and put this in the fridge.
- Now, put the milk, the rest of the sugar and the egg yolks in a saucepan, and heat it gently, stirring constantly, without letting it boil.
- Pour this thickened sauce in a chilled bowl, and let it cool.
- Once it cools down, refrigerate it for about 3 hours, stirring it occasionally.
- Once it becomes cold, stir in the vanilla and cream, and then the sugar/strawberry mixture.
- Put this mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the instructions by the manufacturer.
Tips to Consider
- If you are using a salt and ice mixture to make ice cream, use a 1:5 ratio of salt to ice.
- Also do not let your ice cream churn for too long. Approximately a 30 minutes duration should be enough, to get the consistency of a soft serve, after which you should put the ice cream in the freezer.