Make your belly lighter!
Substitute lemon soda with diet lemon soda for 80% fewer calories!
The Long Island iced tea is a cocktail that tastes and looks like regular iced tea, yet it comes with all the boozy goodness you need after a rough day. It was invented in the 1970s at Oak Beach Inn on Long Island. It is made with rum, tequila, vodka, triple sec, sweet-sour mix (a syrup containing lime or lemon or both), and coke.
Tokyo iced tea is a slightly sweeter version of the Long Island iced tea, which contains lemon soda instead of coke and the Japanese liqueur, Midori. Midori is a bright green-colored liqueur and has a muskmelon flavor that was produced almost exclusively in Japan till the 1980s. It gives this drink a sweet and fruity punch, but don't let its innocent appearance fool you as it packs quite a kick. The triple sec or cointreau gives this drink a citrus note, while the lemon soda adds another citrus hint as well as provides fizz to it.
TOKYO ICED TEA RECIPE: The Hulk of Cocktails
Preparation Time: 7 minutes
- Vodka, 1 oz.
- Gin, 1 oz.
- White rum, 1 oz.
- Tequila, 1 oz.
- Triple sec (or cointreau), 1 oz.
- Midori (or any melon liqueur), 2 oz.
- Lemon soda (preferably 7 Up), ¼ oz.
- Lime wedges (for garnish), 2
- Cocktail shaker
- Lots of ice
- Highball glass (or any tall glass)
- Combine all the ingredients except the lemon soda and lime in a shaker.
- Add ice and shake 3 - 4 times. (Remember: Large amount of alcohol will melt the ice faster. So, the longer you perform this step, the more watered down your drink will be.)
- Strain the drink into a highball glass containing fresh ice.
- Garnish with a wedge of lime.
With Kiwi Liqueur
One variation is by substituting Midori with 2 oz. of Kiwi liqueur. Kiwi liqueur is a bright green-colored liquid, and its flavor is a combination of kiwi and melon with a tangy, lemony hint that adds a new dimension to your drink.
This drink can be a real crowd-pleaser due to its vibrant appearance, but mind you, this will get you tipsy way too soon! So, serve it to your gal pals and let the secrets spill out; it's going to be one night you want to remember!