Puppy chow is known by many names such as puppy food, monkey munch, chewbacca chew, etc. It is quite a popular snack in Mid-Western United States. There can be many variations of recipes for puppy chow but the basic ingredients remain the same in almost all. These are peanut butter, cereal and chocolate. Sounds yummy? Well, let's learn how to make it using the following recipes!
Puppy Chow with Peanut Butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 pkt. (16 oz. or 1 lb.) powdered sugar
- 1, 12 oz box cereal
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate fries
- 5 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pour the cereal in a big bowl and set aside.
- Take a 1-qt saucepan, put the chocolate fries in it and heat.
- When they are slightly warm, add the peanut butter and butter and turn the heat to low.
- Stir frequently so that the ingredients do not get burned.
- When all the ingredients have melted completely, take the saucepan off the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix well.
- Pour this mixture slowly over the cereal in the bowl.
- Stir with a spatula, so that the mixture are evenly coated on the cereal.
- Pour this mixture into a 2 gallon plastic storage bag or a grocery bag.
- Now add the powdered sugar and shake the bag until the mixture is well coated with it.
- Spread the mixture on wax paper and let it cool.
- You can serve immediately but it tastes better when eaten cold.
Puppy Chow with Cereal
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate fries
- 9 cups cereal (plain are the best)
- Take a large microwave bowl and add butter, chocolate fries, and peanut butter to it.
- Remember to use only microwave safe bowl. Combine the ingredients well and keep aside.
- Now take another big bowl. Add 9 cups of cereal in it.
- Now microwave the first bowl containing butter, peanut butter and chocolate fries for about 1 minute, on high.
- You can keep a 30 seconds interval and remember to stir the ingredients at every interval, until all the ingredients melt and turn into a smooth mixture.
- Only when all the ingredients are completely smooth and melted, add vanilla and mix well.
- Now pour this chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss until the cereal is evenly covered. Once the cereals are evenly covered, coat with confectioner's sugar and toss until each piece is evenly covered. Refrigerate before serving.
Just a small tip, when we heat the microwave, there is a possibility of the ingredients splattering and creating a mess, so follow a simple solution of covering the bowl with a paper towel. This will surely lessen your work of cleaning the mess!
Now that you know how to make puppy chow, start with your cooking soon! You can make this tasty snack for children's party or even as a different snack at your tea-party! By the way, if you are curious to know, this snack is inspired from a dog food, which looks exactly like puppy chow, but tastes completely different, you can try for yourself!