Oyster stew is a scrumptious dish that is prepared using a variety of ingredients. It is a rich and creamy-textured soup made from shucked oysters by cooking them in milk, cream, butter, and oyster liquor, which are the key ingredients for making it. It is prepared using simple cooking techniques. You can make it either with fresh oysters or canned oysters. Preparing it is not very time-consuming, as oysters do not take long to get cooked. It is usually garnished with onions, parsley, pepper, and extra cream.
Oyster stew is not only easy to prepare, but is also healthy. The flavor of the dish can be improvised by using different ingredients. However, authentic recipes can be prepared from milk, butter, celery, cheese, and liquor. Oysters are cooked in milk, which is why they become soft and plump. You should serve this dish with the typical oyster sauces and oyster crackers.
- Oysters shucked in liquor - 1 pint
- Butter - ¼ cup
- Seafood seasoning - 1 teaspoon
- Milk - 1 quart
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Black pepper - 1 pinch
- Warm a little cooking oil in a skillet, and then place the oysters in it. Add the liquor to it, and cook it till the oysters curve at the edges.
- Add the milk and butter to the oysters and stir it well. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top. Keep the heat low and cook the mixture for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat, add any seasoning (if you want to), and serve hot with French fries.
- Shucked oysters - 1 pint
- Celery (chopped) - ⅓ cup
- Cracker crumbs - 2 teaspoons
- Pepper - ⅛th teaspoon
- Parsley (chopped) - 2 teaspoons
- Green onions (chopped) - 2 teaspoons
- Salt - ¾ teaspoon
- Milk - 2½ cups
- Melt the butter in a skillet and sautè the celery in it till it becomes tender.
- Add the milk and crumbs to a double boiler, and heat them before adding the celery to this mixture.
- Now, combine the cooked celery, oyster juice, and the milk and crumbs mixture together, and heat it.
- When the mixture gets heated up, add the oysters to it.
- Let the oysters cook completely. You can see their ends curl as they become soft and plump.
- Stir the mixture again before turning off the heat.
- Garnish the dish with onions, parsley, and a pinch of black pepper. Serve hot.
- Shucked oysters - 12 ounces
- Butter - 2 teaspoons
- Pepper - ¼th teaspoon
- Salt - ¼th teaspoon
- Milk - 2 cups
- Pimiento (chopped) - 2 ounces
- Hot sauce - ½ teaspoon
- Cheddar cheese (shredded) - 1 cup
- Mushroom (sliced) - 1 cup
- Cream of potato soup - 1 can
- Celery (diced) - ½ cup
- Melt the butter in an oven and add the celery and onions to it for cooking. Cover it and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the celery mixture and heat it for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to this mixture, and mix it well for 1 minute so that it combines with the ingredients.
- Now, add the milk and cream of potato soup to it, and heat the mixture under low intensity for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the oysters, pimiento, cheese, and a little amount of liquor to this stew. Allow it to cook until the oysters become soft.
- Serve hot with oyster sauce and oyster crackers.
Now that you have a fair idea of how to make oyster stew, you can make a delicious meal at home. Keep the ingredients ready, and serve the dish hot, with extra garnishing.