Hummus is a popular dip that originated in the Middle East. This spread is made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, which is then blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic. The ingredients used are available everywhere in the world. Tahini is a paste made from hulled sesame seeds. At times, our kitchen is not fully equipped with all the necessary ingredients. There are times when we may run out of tahini. At such times, it is imperative to know how to make hummus without the use of tahini. Mentioned below are some recipes to help you in this regard.
This is one of the easiest hummus recipe.
- Garbanzo beans: 1 can
- Olive oil: ¼ cup
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
- In a pot, roast the cumin seeds. Next, blend garbanzo beans, olive oil, and lemon juice along with cumin seeds.
- Blend till the mixture becomes smooth and creamy, and serve with pita bread, pita chips, or vegetables.
- You can store the dip for three days in an airtight container.
If you are fond of garlic, you will like this recipe better.
- Chickpeas can: 1 (16 oz.)
- Liquid from the can: ¼ cup
- Nut butter: ¼ cup
- Lemon juice: 3 tbsp.
- Olive oil: 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp.
- Roast the cumin seeds in a pot. In a blender, blend chickpeas and the liquid till smooth and creamy.
- Then, add lemon juice and olive oil, and continue blending till the ingredients mix well.
- Then, add the nut butter and roasted cumin and mix well. Serve immediately.
- Some people prefer to add almond butter while a few others may like peanut butter. So, you can add the butter of your choice.
If you like your dips spicy, then this one is an apt recipe for you, as it makes use of red pepper flakes.
- Chickpeas can: 1
- Garlic clove: 1
- Olive oil: 3 tbsp.
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp.
- Crushed red pepper flakes: ¼ tsp.
- Blend drained chickpeas in a blender till smooth and creamy. If required you may add 1 to 2 tbsp. of water while blending.
- Then, add lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic clove to the chickpeas paste and mix well.
- Finally, add red pepper flakes and serve with chips, vegetables, pita bread, etc.
This is an elaborate hummus recipe.
- Chickpeas: 1 can
- Lemon Juice: 1 lemon
- Garlic: ½ head roasted
- Water: 1 to 2 tbsp. (if required)
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp.
- Sesame oil: ½ to 1 tsp.
- Kosher salt: ½ tsp.
- Cumin seeds: ¼ tsp.
- Cayenne pepper: ¼ tsp.
- In a blender, mix together chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Then, add sesame oil, kosher salt, and cumin seeds.
- At last, stir in cayenne pepper.
- Serve with pita bread, vegetables, etc.
There are a number of people, especially children, who do not like the taste of tahini. So, if you are one of them, then the above-mentioned recipes will surely prove to be beneficial. So, do try the recipes and let us know your experiences. Happy cooking!