Funnel cakes are a regional novelty food of the United States. They are mainly sold at carnivals, fairs, any sporting events or at seaside resorts. Its origin dates back to 1879 in Germany. The cake derives its name from the method that is used for preparing it. The batter is poured through a funnel into the hot cooking oil in a circular pattern and fried till they are golden brown in color. After having their first taste at the carnival, your kids probably are badgering you to make them at home. Enlisted below are a couple of simple and basic recipes.
- Egg, 1
- Salt, ¼ tbsp.
- Milk, ⅔ cups
- Sugar, (granulated) 2 tbsp.
- All-purpose flour, 1⅓ cups
- Baking Powder, ¾ tsp.
- Vegetable Oil
- Funnel (medium size)
- Powdered Sugar (for garnishing)
- Beat an egg in the mixing bowl with the wire whisk.
- Add the milk slowly. Don't stop stirring.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, salt, granulated sugar, and baking powder.
- Now mix both the mixtures together and keep beating it with a wire whisk, till the batter attains a smooth texture.
The batter is ready now.
- In a large and deep skillet, pour the vegetable oil. You have to add the oil depending on the depth of your skillet. The batter has to be deep-fried, hence, the depth of oil should be enough to cover it completely.
- Heat the oil. With the thermometer measure the temperature. It should be around 375ºF.
- Take the funnel and close the hole at the bottom with your finger.
- Using the ladle, pour one scoop of the batter that you have prepared, into the funnel.
- Now remove your finger and pour the batter in the skillet.
- Keep moving the funnel in circular motions to create various round shaped layers of the cake.
- Deep-fry the batter for at least 2 to 3 minutes, till it turns golden brown in color.
- Now using the tongs, flip over the cake and fry it from both sides for 2 to 3 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
- Now take the cake out of the skillet and place it on the paper towels and drain off the excess oil.
- While it is still warm, sprinkle some powdered sugar on it.
- Serve it hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pancake mix, 18 oz.
- Water, 1 cup
- Vegetable Oil
- Chocolate Syrup
- Powdered Sugar, (for garnishing)
- On a medium flame heat the vegetable oil in a large and deep pan.
- In the mixing bowl, mix together pancake mix and water. Don't make the batter too thin and watery.
- Check that the oil is hot enough (ideal temperature is 375ºF) and then add the batter into it.
- Deep-fry the batter in the oil for at least 2 to 3 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
- Remove it from the pan and place it on a plate or a cookie sheet, and drain out the excess oil.
- Put some chocolate syrup and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the pancake.
- You can also add some roasted nuts or chocolate chips.
- Serve it hot with a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
In case you have a sweet tooth, this dish can be coated with honey or sugar syrup. It is a delicious dessert and is generally relished by children.