Frozen yogurt is a summertime delicacy, prepared from fresh yogurt and other pure milk products. This yummy dessert is more or less like an ice cream, except that it is prepared from pure milk, while ice cream is made from milk cream. In fact, it is marketed as a low-fat alternative to regular ice cream. Hence, you can enjoy having this summertime treat, without thinking much about the calorie count.
The commercial production of frozen yogurt is done in assembly lines for carrying out the successive stages. Another option is to make it in ice cream machines. For home preparation, you can learn the steps to make it, without using these machines. This way, you will be able to reduce the sugar content, which is relatively very high in the ones sold in the market. Free from food preservatives, and unknown flavoring and colorings, your homemade frozen yogurt will serve as a healthy treat for your family members.
Making It at Home
In order to make it, you require food supplies that are commonly available in your refrigerator and kitchen counter. If you know how to prepare ice milk, you will find it very easy to make this dessert. What you need to do is to first mix the required ingredients, and refrigerate the concoction until you get the desired consistency. Mentioned below are the ingredients and steps to make a chocolate chip frozen yogurt recipe:
- Yogurt, 1 cup (strained or Greek-style)
- Milk, 12 oz. (low fat)
- Chocolate Chips, ½ cup (semi sweet)
- Sugar, ¾ cup
- Cornstarch, 2 tsp.
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch together. Stir well to blend the mixture.
- To the saucepan, stir in low-fat milk first. With a wooden spatula mix the ingredients. Then, add chocolate chips and blend the concoction.
- Put this saucepan containing milk and chocolate mixture, over a gas burner at medium heat. Cook till the sugar and chocolate chips are melted.
- Check whether they are melted completely or not. You can stir the mixture with a spoon to quicken melting time. Also, stir occasionally to avoid clumping of the ingredients.
- Once the mixture starts thickening, you need to stir constantly, otherwise it may burn, and the taste will be spoiled. Remove it from heat, when the mixture turns bubbly, or when you get the desired consistency.
- Allow the mixture to cool to a lukewarm temperature. Then add yogurt and vanilla extract. Put on the saucepan lid, refrigerate until frozen, and then serve.
- You can also serve it in ice cream bowls, toppled with chocolate flakes.
Besides the aforementioned steps, another simple method is to prepare it by mixing already frozen seasonal fruits with plain yogurt. First, wash and cut the fruits, and place them in a flat sheet in the refrigerator till frozen. Blend these fruits in an electric mixer, and combine the mixture with plain yogurt. If desired, add sugar to it, and serve. Try adding different ingredients, and explore a unique recipe of your own. You can use peanut butter, sliced strawberries, mangoes, or other summer fruits, as well.