French toast is a remarkably simple dish to prepare, where the use of a host of creative ingredients is always welcomed. While the misconception of French toast being a breakfast dish is widely perceived, it can actually be eaten with practically anything and at anytime. From bacon and fruit syrups to cheese and semi-melted chocolate chunks, the options are limitless when it comes to French toast pairings. In this particular section, we'll show you how to make French toast without eggs, and hardcore dairy-excluded eaters can check out this recipe on how to make French toast without milk.
Irresistible Eggless French Toast Recipes
Don't hesitate to swap certain ingredients with the ones that you may think will taste better than what is already mentioned here. However, keep the core ingredients intact (custard powder, cornstarch, cinnamon, and milk), since you do not want to end up with a bland mess.
French toast is best made with toasted whole wheat bread or rye bread. For more options, have a look at best bread for French toast.
- Toasted whole wheat bread, 2 slices
- Lukewarm milk, 1 cup
- Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon
- Custard powder, 2 teaspoons
- Powdered sugar/stevia, 1 teaspoon
- Banana essence (or any other kind), 1 teaspoon
- Powdered cinnamon, ½ teaspoon
- In a bowl, combine the custard powder, sugar, and cinnamon before pouring the lukewarm milk into it. Add the banana essence in the end.
- Using a whisk or fork, beat the ingredients together until smooth, ensuring that there are no lumps.
- If lumps continue to surface, pop the bowl into the microwave for 15 seconds on high.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add the tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- Swirl the butter around until it melts. Now, dip the first slice of whole wheat bread into the milky mix.
- Shake the slice gently to remove the excess mix before placing it carefully on the buttered-hot pan.
- Do not move the bread slice repeatedly. Just lift the pan by its handle to give it a gentle jerk.
- After 30 seconds, flip the bread slice and wait for another 30 seconds.
- Once it's done, transfer the bread slice onto to a paper roll.
- Repeat the same for the second bread slice.
- Serve with plain sautéed sliced bananas and a sprinkle of powdered sugar or caramel syrup with fresh berries.
This version of French toast is to die for. For this recipe, prefer to use the cheese variety that is easily available in nearby stores if you find it difficult to get the variety mentioned here.
- Cooked bacon (optional), 2 strips
- Rye bread, 2 slices
- Cheddar cheese, 2 slices
- Lukewarm milk, 1 cup
- Parmesan cheese shavings, 2 tablespoons
- Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon
- Salted butter, 1 tablespoon
- Chopped black olives, 1 tablespoon
- Paprika, ½ teaspoon
- Powdered cinnamon, a pinch
- Powdered black pepper, a pinch
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, cinnamon, paprika, and black pepper, and add the lukewarm milk in the end.
- Ensure that the mixture is lump-free by firmly beating it with a whisk or fork.
- Heat a nonstick pan and drop into it the tablespoon of butter, swirling it around until it melts completely.
- Now, dip the first slice of bread into the milk mix, gently shake off the excess, and carefully place it onto the awaiting nonstick pan.
- After 30 seconds, flip the bread slice and let it cook further for another 30 seconds. Repeat this for the second bread slice.
- Before taking out the second bread slice from the pan, put the cheddar cheese slices, bacon strips, and parmesan shavings atop its surface. Next, place the previously cooked bread slice on top of it like a sandwich.
- Turn the heat off and place a lid over the pan, and count for 20 seconds before removing the lid.
- Carefully transfer the cheesy sandwich from the pan to a plate. Now, gently lift the top slice to throw in the black olives.
- You can add a little Dijon mustard or Tabasco sauce if you'd like for a sensory explosion.
French toast, as you can see, can be prepared using a variety of ingredients to give it a unique flavor every single time. Vegans can switch cow's milk with soy-based milk and avoid meat options by using wholesome additions, like fruits or organic marmalade.