French toast is an ideal choice of many for breakfast or for brunch. It is relatively easy to make and is nutritious. Given below are easy recipes, and if you are trying this dish for the first time, ensure that you follow the exact instructions.
Classic French Toast
- Eggs, 2
- Milk, 2 tbsp.
- Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Bread slices, 4
- Salt, 1 pinch
- Cinnamon powder, 1 pinch
- In a big bowl, break the eggs and whisk them.
- Add milk, cinnamon powder and salt to the eggs and mix it all up thoroughly.
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and shallow fry the slices till the egg sets firmly on the bread.
- Add more oil when needed and cook all the slices of bread.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
French Toast Without Milk
- Eggs, 3
- Bread slices, 5
- Onion, chopped, 1
- Green chilly, chopped and seeded, 1
- Cilantro, chopped, 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Oil, 3 tbsp.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk them.
- Add to these the chopped onion, chilly and cilantro.
- Thoroughly mix all these together.
- Add salt and pepper as required.
- Pour some oil in a skillet and let the oil heat on medium heat.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and shallow fry them in the skillet.
- The eggs should firmly set on the bread slices.
- Repeat this for the entire batch of bread slices.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with ketchup.
Eggless French Toast
- Bread slices, 6
- Milk, 3 tbsp.
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Vanilla Extract or Essence, 2 tsp.
- Plain yogurt, 4 tbsp.
- Cinnamon Powder, 1 pinch
- Nutmeg Powder, 1 pinch
- Butter or Oil for Frying
- Mix the yogurt, vanilla extract or essence, sugar, and the cinnamon and nutmeg powder in milk.
- Thoroughly blend this mixture.
- Heat the oil or butter in the skillet on medium heat, and when it is ready for cooking, turn the heat to low.
- Dip the slices of bread in the mix and immediately shallow fry in the oil or butter.
- This French toast without eggs will take more time to cook than the one with eggs.
- Cook one side till brown and flip the toast to similarly cook the other side.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot with sprinkled sugar or honey as a garnish.
You can also use applesauce as an egg substitute if you like. Ensure that you add some sugar or honey or maple syrup as a garnish on top of the French toasts.