All of us are eager to break open that delicious fortune cookie and read what's in store for us. Even though fortune cookies are known to have a Japanese origin, they are the most popular in America! They are crispy mouth-watering cookies with a unique shape and a slip of paper with your "fortune or horoscope" written on it. They resemble the yummy Japanese crackers but are folded in a particular manner.
The cookies were advertised first by the Chinese and thus, they are served usually in Chinese restaurants around America. Fortune cookies are a favorite among children and adults of all ages for both, tasty and curious reasons. In the paragraphs below, you will learn to make a fortune cookie in two ways. The first for edible purposes and the second for arts and crafts! So, if you are interested to know what is a fortune cookie and how it looks, keep reading.
The original fortune cookies are edible cookies with a piece of fortune paper folded inside, while baking them. You are supposed to crack open in the center, pull out the paper and read it, and then eat the yummy cookie! There are usually three main steps to create a fortune cookie that can be eaten, viz; preparing the batter, baking it and then folding the cookies with the fortune cookie sayings inside it. So, without any delay, here are these easy steps to make the yummiest cookies for you and your family.
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Before making the cookies, write out fortunes on a paper, and cut out strips which are about 7 cm long and 1.25 cm wide. You can write 10 to 15 fortunes one on each strip.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and almond extract and vegetable oil together. Then add the cornstarch, flour, salt, sugar and water, to another bowl and beat it vigorously to get a smooth batter. Mix the two mixtures in one common bowl and beat once again, so all the ingredients blend well.
- Grease a baking dish with a little bit oil so that the cookies don't stick to the sheet. With a spoon drop circular patches (8 to 10 cm in diameter) of batter on the sheet, and move the spoon over them to flatten the cookies (they look like small pancakes). Bake these in a preheated oven at 300 degrees F for about 15 minutes, till they are slightly golden brown at the edges.
- Now, pull out the dish, remove one cookie on a plate, flip it over and place the fortune slip in the middle of the cookie. Fold the cookie in half and then hold the center of this half on the rim of a glass, and bend it over. A depression is created after which you are supposed to cool the cookies, so that the shape is hardened. Your delicious fortune cookies are ready to be served!
These imitations are fun to be served at parties as an additional activity. Like the edible ones, these fortune cookies are easy to make and can be great arts and crafts activities for kids at school and home. Therefore, read on and prepare yourself with a paper and pair of scissors!
- Colored paper
- Matching Ribbon
- Colored marker
- On one side of the colored paper, draw perfect circles with colored makers, so that they could be cut out neatly. On the ribbons, write fortunes with the marker and make sure the ribbons are longer so they can be seen outside the cookies.
- Cut out the circles, and place the ribbons on the white side of the paper, so that the colored part will be on the visible side, when you fold the circle. Fold it into half, and bend it over a spoon to get the depression.
- In order to hold this bend, fold the edges of the circle and glue them close to the bend. The ribbons can be adjusted at equal lengths to make them visible. Prepare about 30 to 40 such paper fortune cookies and place them in a large bowl. Let the guests pick out their fortune at the entrance, enjoy reading and sharing it with others!
With these fun tips, I hope you have enjoyed making them yourself. Go ahead and serve these fantastic cookies to your friends and family and enjoy reading their fortune!