Imagine some flower shaped colorful cookies that are arranged to form a beautiful bouquet. Isn't it perfect for gifting? It may not be difficult for you to find such bouquets or cookies on sticks in stores. But, homemade ones are always preferred, especially, if you intend to make it a gift. If you are comfortable in baking cookies, then making cookies on a stick will not be a difficult task for you. Even others can make them easily.
Cookies on Sticks Recipe
As the name rightly suggests, cookies on a stick are those cookies that are attached with sticks, just like lollipops. These sticks help you in arranging the cookies creatively. You may also arrange them to make bouquets that can be gifted.
Points to Note
- First of all, think of the occasion for which you are making these cookies. Accordingly, decide the shape and flavor of the cookies. As far as the shapes are concerned, you may use cookie cutters or molds.
- Once you determine the flavor and shape, you have to prepare the cookie dough. For that purpose, you may use ready-made cookie mix or prepare one at home.
- If you want to prepare cookie dough at home, you may follow this simple recipe. The following are the ingredients for making this cookie dough.
- All-purpose flour - 2 ¼ cups
- Egg yolks - 2
- Sugar - ¾ cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- Softened butter - 1 cup
- Salt - 2 pinches
- Popsicle sticks
How to Prepare
- Cream the butter and sugar for around five minutes. You may use an electric mixer for this purpose. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Blend them well before adding the flour. Make sure to sift the flour along with baking powder and salt, before you add it to the butter mixture. Add the flour in small batches and combine well with the butter-egg mixture. Once the cookie dough is prepared, cover and freeze for thirty minutes.
- Now, you have your cookie dough ready. Those who are using ready-made cookie mix can make the dough as per the instructions of the manufacturer. Now, take out the cookie dough in small batches. Roll out the dough on a surface that is lightly floured.
- The dough has to be rolled out to a thickness of around half an inch. Now use cookie cutters or molds to cut out the desired shapes out of the dough.
- The next step is to line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Gently remove the cut out shapes and place them on the parchment paper. It will be better to use a spatula for this purpose.
- Insert a popsicle stick into the base of each cookie. Now place the cookie sheets in the oven that is preheated to 375 degree Fahrenheit. You have to bake the cookies for around 13 to 15 minutes.
- Don't move the cookies, once you take them out of the oven. Let them cool for a few minutes, before transferring them to wire racks. Allow them to cool completely before use.
- The next part is decorating. You can decorate these cookies on a stick with icing of your choice. You may also use bows, ribbons and other such items for decorating the sticks. Your cookies on sticks are ready.
If you want an easy method to make some no bake cookies on sticks, then, get some Oreo cookies and a bag of chocolate chips. Melt the chocolate chips with a small amount of shortening. Dip one end of the craft stick into the melted chocolate. Pry open the cookie and place the chocolate-dipped end of the stick in between the two parts of the cookies.
In other words, sandwich the tip of the stick in between the cookie halves. Now, dip the whole cookie in the chocolate again. Repeat this till you get enough cookies on sticks. You have to place these cookies on wax paper. Place them on baking sheets and freeze for around 15 minutes. Your cookies on a stick are ready to use. You may decorate them before using. You may try the above said method for making them at home. Once you get comfortable with this task, experiment with different flavors, shapes and decorations.