Chocolate is a delicacy which cannot be resisted by anybody, irrespective of their age or gender. It is not only a scrumptious edible item, which is used in a number of food recipes, but it is also used for spa massages, skin treatments, manufacturing perfumes, etc. The beauty of this food item, lies in its versatility. It can be added to a number of things or served with almost anything. You can eat it as a starter, main course, or dessert.
Like me, there are a number of people out there who are addicted to this divine food. Making it at home would always be an interesting activity for such people. Once you look at the steps of making it, you will understand that it is not very difficult to prepare. There are a number of ways to make this delicacy at home. It can be made from cocoa beans, as well as cocoa powder. We will now see how to make it using cocoa beans, and then from cocoa powder.
Using Cocoa Beans
We will now see how do we go about making chocolate from cocoa beans. Making it at home is a wonderful experience and it will also turn out to be the most delicious food item you have ever had. In this recipe, we will be making chocolate in its purest form, which might taste moderately bitter. Irrespective of the taste, it is rich in antioxidants, which helps to make our immune system stronger.
- Raw Cocoa Beans, 1 lb.
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Vanilla Essence, ½ tsp.
- Milk, 2/3 cup
- Flavors as per choice
- To roast cocoa beans, put a single layer of beans on a cookie sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes at 300 °F in the oven. The beans will become rich dark brown in color. Once the beans are roasted, let them cool and then remove the husks covering it.
- Break the beans into fine pieces and grind them using a pepper grinder.
- Continue to grind till they turn into a brown mush. This powder will look nice, but will be very bitter in taste.
- Take a large pan filled with water. Heat the water till it is hot, but not till boiling point. Transfer the cocoa paste to a small pan and place it in the pan of hot water. When the paste is heated, but not cooking, transfer it back to the bowl. Continue to grind it with the pepper grinder, till a paste of smooth consistency is formed.
- Add sugar, milk, vanilla essence, and the flavoring of your choice to the paste. Bring to boil and then turn the heat off.
- Keep mixing all the ingredients till the sugar is well blended. Adding more sugar will help to remove the bitter taste to a certain extent. While it is still warm, pour it into molds and keep it aside to set.
Using Cocoa Powder
Sometimes procuring cocoa seeds can be very difficult. At such times, you can certainly make chocolate using cocoa powder. It is also interesting to note that this way it is easier to make it, when compared to making it using cocoa beans. There are hundreds of recipes to make this food item, which involves milk, sugar, and cocoa. Here is one simple recipe, which you will certainly want to try out.
- Butter, 1 stick
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 4 tbsp.
- Milk, 6 tbsp.
- Powdered Sugar, 1 lb.
- Pure Vanilla Essence, 1 tsp.
- To avoid lumps, sift the powdered sugar. In a sauce pan, place the butter, add cocoa powder and milk. Bring it to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- Remove the sauce pan from heat and add powdered sugar to it. Keep stirring, till the sugar is well blended.
- Then add vanilla essence to it and stir.
- Now the chocolate is ready. You can use it over ice cream, spread it over warm brownies or use it as a face pack for a smooth and well-toned complexion.
I will recommend you to try both the methods that have been mentioned in this article. If you have to ask for my frank opinion, I will say that the second method is better and easier when compared to the first. So, I invite all the chocoholics to try your hand at making this sweet treat and indulge yourself.