When we drink apple juice purchased from the store, we miss out on freshness. These juices are full of preservatives. These chemicals are added in order to increase the storage value and also to improve the flavor. However, they harm our body. The best and easiest way to avoid this problem is to make your own apple juice. This task is very easy, and does not require any elaborate equipment.
- Sugar (if needed)
- Big pot that has a lid
- Empty bottles or cans to store the juice
- The first thing that you need to do is to select the apples properly. Do not use those that are raw or rotten, otherwise this will affect the taste of the juice. Only choose those that are sweet so that you do not have to add sugar to it.
- Now wash the apples really well and then chop them into small pieces. Leave the skin on, as it is the skin which contains most of the nutrients. Remove the core and the seeds.
- Now fill the pot with at least 5 inches of water, and then put in the apple pieces. Then on a high flame bring it to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the flame and keep cooking till the pieces turn soft. Do not forget to stir with the ladle, otherwise the pieces might get stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- In the meantime, start getting the jars ready. Sterilize them before you use them and store the empty jars in a warm place so that they do not crack when you pour the juice.
- Once, the apples have been boiled properly, the next thing that you have to do is filter them well in order to remove the skin, the pulp, the seeds, and stems. Use the sieve to do this. Make sure that you use a good sieve. Finding a seed or few stray pieces of skin while drinking the juice, will spoil the fun. So, filter well.
- Heat the juice that you get now, once again. Taste it, and add some sugar if you feel it is necessary. However, it's better that you avoid adding the sugar.
- Now, all that remains is the storage. Using the ladle, carefully scoop out the juice and start pouring it in the empty jars. Close the lids of each jar tightly and if you want to use it for over a long period of time, then seal the lids. If not, let the jars cool and then put them in the refrigerator and drink this fresh, nutritious apple juice everyday for breakfast.
If you would like to know how a blender can speed things up, then follow the steps given below.
- Collect and chop the fruits in the same way as above and put these pieces in the blender.
- Add some water to the blender and then blend the pieces well. Make sure that there are no seeds or stem left in the apple before you blend, otherwise the taste might be affected.
- Now filter the mixture using a really good sieve and squeeze out the juice. Add sugar if you want and then serve.
You can also learn to make a concentrate by evaporating the fresh juice. This concentrate reduces the risk of the juice getting spoiled. Preparing the juice will not take you much time if you are using the blender, or you can easily store some and use it daily. It's healthy as you are not adding any preservatives. If you are suffering from constipation, this is a great remedy for that too.