In case you are baking a layer cake for the first time, try a two layered cake. That way, you can bake it easily, without creating a mess. It is as simple as making two cakes and frosting them. As per your preferences, you can bake circular, square, or other fancy cakes. The only thing is to make the shapes uniform. Keep in mind that the second layer should be smaller than the base.
Supplies You Need
- Two 9 inch chocolate cakes (or yellow cakes)
- Chocolate icing (or cream cheese almond frosting)
- Off-set spatula
- Serrated knife
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Serving platter
- Wax paper
- First of all, be ready with the two cakes; you can use your favorite cake recipe or ready-made mixes. Once you are done with baking, run a serrated knife along the edges and gently remove cakes from the pans. Allow it to cool down and freeze for at half an hour.
- For the icing part, you can use canned frosting or purchase a mix. In case you are using a frosting mix, follow the exact directions mentioned in the package.
- In a large serving platter, place some waxed papers adjacent to each other, making a square shape. In the center of the platter, carefully put one cake layer. For easy layering and frosting, level the top of the cake by slicing off with a knife.
- Put ¾ cup homemade icing in the center of the first cake layer. Using an offset spatula, evenly spread out frosting over cake, covering the edges. This is how you frost the first layer of the cake.
- Now, place the second layer cake on top of the first one. Making sure that the edges of the two cakes are aligned properly, put some frosting on the sides of the cakes. With the help of the spatula, spread frosting to the sides.
- Put ¾ to 1 cup icing on top of the second cake layer. Complete frosting by creating swirls. Use remaining icing in the edges and ensure that it covers the two layered cake from all sides. Remove the waxed papers without disturbing the cake.
Now that you know the best way to layer a cake and simple frosting tips, you can increase the number of layers in the cake. Baking a cake is not complete until you decorate it, particularly if you are using it for a special occasion. So, use creative cake decorating ideas and make your cake look amazing.