Cake decoration and frosting is usually done to enhance the beauty of the cake. At the same time, it is used to retain the moisture in the cake, to complement the flavor of the cake, and also to add its own flavor. Buttercream and fondant are the two most common substances used for decorating a cake.
How to Make Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups of icing or confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cups of softened butter
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of vanilla essence/extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk
- Mix icing sugar and softened butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- When mixed properly, add milk and vanilla essence/extract into it.
- Beat the mixture to form a smooth and creamy frosting. You can add milk or sugar to make the mixture thin or thick respectively.
Frosting with Buttercream
- You need to cool the cake layers (or the single cake) before decorating it.
- Invert the baking pan on a towel and take the cake out. Place it on the cooling racks.
- Note that before frosting, you need to brush off all crumbs from the sides and top of the cake.
- Place a layer of cake (the rounded side should be at the bottom) and spread a thick layer of frosting on top of it.
- Apply a thin layer of frosting on the side so that the crumbs get sealed.
- Place the next layer of cake. Repeat the process for other layers. On the topmost layer, spread the remaining frosting and make it smooth for further decoration. This is the easiest and the simplest way of frosting a cake.
Frosting with Fondant
- As aforementioned, let the cake cool completely before working on it.
- Roll the fondant into a thin or thick layer, according to your preference. The size of the cake should be taken into consideration when rolling the fondant.
- Now apply a very thin later of buttercream icing on the cake. This will help in keeping the fondant at its place.
- Do not lift the fondant with your hands and place it on the cake. This will wrinkle it.
- Rather, it should be loosely wrapped around the rolling pin and slowly unwrapped on the top of the cake.
- Next, smooth the layer gently with your hands and cut off the excess with a knife.
While using fondant and buttercream, you can make variations using different food colors and flavors. With these simple techniques, you can easily make a decorative cake for the next big party or celebration. In case you come up with other simple tips and shareable secrets, do mention in the comments section for our readers. Ciao!