Many people think cooking white rice is a complicated process. This is definitely not true! Accepted, that if you do not use proper measurements, or do not follow proper procedure, you can end up making sticky, overcooked or dry rice. However, if you follow the simple rules while cooking rice, you will never go wrong. White rice can be cooked in a rice cooker, microwave, or even on a stove top. So, let us now get to know the procedure of cooking white rice using these different equipment.
Cooking White Rice in a Rice Cooker
Measuring and washing rice is the first step in making rice using any equipment. Remember that one cup of uncooked rice will make 1 and half cup of cooked rice. Following are the methods of cooking white rice in a cooker.
- Take the measured amount of rice in a bowl. Fill the bowl with tap water and stir the rice. Tilt the bowl and drain the excess water out. Repeat the process until the water is clear.
- Now fill the cooking pot with rice and water equal to the rice plus 1.2 cup. For e.g. for 1 cup of rice, you should use 1 and ½ cup of water.
- Adding salt or butter to the rice while cooking is optional.
- Put the cooking pot in the rice cooker, cover and plug in the cooker.
- Most cookers will turn off once the rice is done, or once all the water gets converted into steam.
- Let the rice rest in the cooker for 5-10 minutes and then open the cover! Serve hot!
... in a Microwave
Wash the rice using the above-mentioned process. However, you need to use a large microwave-friendly bowl for this process. Following is the procedure to make white rice in a microwave.
- Put the measured rice, and twice the water in a bowl. For e.g. 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- You should make sure that the rice and water mixture should reach just half the bowl, as the rice rises when cooked.
- You can add salt according to your wish.
- Cover the bowl with a paper plate so that the steam can escape.
- Cook on high power for 15 minutes.
- After the prescribed time, let it set for 5-10 minutes.
- Take it out and serve hot!
... on the Stove
Rice should be measured and washed using the aforementioned process. The amount of water increases according to the type of rice you wish to make. Here is the white rice recipe using a stove.
- Use 1 and ½ or 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Put the measured water in a bowl and bring to boil.
- Salt or butter can be added to the water according to one's preference.
- When the water boiled, add rice to it. Bring to boil again.
- Now cover the pot and let the rice cook for 20-25 minutes.
- You should not open the lid as this will release the steam, leaving the rice uncooked.
- Turn the heat off, after prescribed time, and open the lid.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes for the rice to set. Serve hot!
How to Cook Sushi Rice
Sushi rice grains are smaller than the usual rice grains. Similarly, the rice is cooked such that it should get sticky. The following is the method for cooking sushi rice.
- Wash rice according to aforementioned method.
- For 3 cups of rice, add 3 and ¼ cups of water.
- Add water in the washed rice and put in sushi rice cooker.
- Cover the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Let is set for 5-10 minutes after the prescribed time.
- Open the lid, take the rice out and mix it with the sushi rice vinegar to prepare sushi rice.
- Once the rice is cooked, you can follow the sushi recipe to complete the dish.
I hope this information on cooking white rice was helpful to you. So, now that you know the different methods of cooking rice at home, you can try different recipes like rice and chicken or rice and fish curry, or even sushi at home, and enjoy a scrumptious meal! Good luck!