One of the best tasting freshwater fish is walleye. This fish is native to Canada and the northern United States. It is said to be a relative of the European pikeperch. There are different names with which walleye is referred to like colored pike, yellow pike, pickerel, etc. Walleye is fished not only recreationally, but also commercially for food. The trick to find a good walleye catch is to go fishing at night, as they have nocturnal feeding habits. To catch these fish small fish are used as a bait. Since it is a delectable fish, how to cook walleye without altering the original taste of the fish is a question which most people have. Without wasting any more time, let's take a look how.
How to Cook Walleye
Fillets in a Pan
If you are fishing in the river and have a catch of walleye, then this is the method you can resort to cook walleye. This is a basic recipe to fry the fish. If you do not like deep-fried fish, then you will want to shallow fry the fish.
- 4 to 5 walleye fillets
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Beat eggs well and combine with milk, black pepper and salt.
- On a plate spread the white flour.
- Dip a fillet into the egg mixture and roll it in the flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil and fry the fillets in the oil, till one side is golden brown in color.
- Flip over to the other side and fry again till golden brown in color.
- Repeat the procedure for all other fillets.
- When you are frying the fillets, make sure that smoke is not emitted from the oil.
- Fry the fillets only so much that they do not buckle, fold or break, when they are lifted gently with a fork.
In the Oven
If you are into healthy eating, then you would rather want to bake walleye. Using this recipe, you can either bake the walleye or microwave it according to your preference.
- 2 or 3 large walleye fillets
- 1 medium thinly sliced onion
- 1 large thinly sliced tomato
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Rub the salt and lemon juice into the fish walleye fillet.
- Then sprinkle parsley onto the fillets and place them in a baking dish, after which keep the baking dish aside.
- While the fillets are marinating, in a skillet fry the onion and garlic till a little limp.
- Pour the ingredients from the skillet onto the fish and spread evenly.
- Pour wine over the mixture and fish and place the baking dish into the oven.
- Let the fish bake at 350 degrees, till it flakes for about half an hour.
- Serve the fish garnished with lemon slices.
If you go fishing in the summer months, then you would like to savor grilled fish. Walleye has its own delectable taste, therefore, you will not have to use too many ingredients to enhance the flavor of the fish.
- 3 to 4 fish fillets
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for garnishing
- Cover the grill with foil, before you grill fish on it and spray cooking oil on it.
- Rub kosher salt on the fish and keep aside for some time.
- While the fillets marinate, mix butter and minced garlic together.
- Use the butter and garlic mixture to baste the fish on one side and let the fish grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the fillets over to the other side, baste it and let it grill again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To know if the fish is ready, check if the fish flakes easily using a fork.
- Serve the fish hot with lemon wedges.
I hope this write up has answered your question how to cook walleye. These were some of the easy recipes to cook walleye. You can make changes to the recipe according to your choice. Other fish recipes can also be used to make walleye.