Fish is a tasty treat for many non-vegetarians all across the globe. However, not many of us are familiar with different cooking techniques used. Grilling fish is quite messy, as its fillets tend to stick to the grill. It is very simple to fry it in oil, but the worrying part is the calorie count. An easy and tasty way of preparing is to broil it in the oven.
According to fish lovers, the preferred choices for broiling include cod, grouper, walleye, pompano, and tilapia. Regardless of the type, the basic preparation steps remain the same. It is the seasoning ingredients of the recipes, and the broiling time that will decide the taste. So, how long does it take to prepare it? The cooking time depends on the size of fish cuts. Refer to the following tips.
- Purchase fresh fish, with firm flesh and clear eyes; avoid a foul-smelling one. If possible, prepare it on the same day itself for better taste.
- First of all, rinse and wash it thoroughly. Pat it dry with a clean towel. If its fillets are still frozen, you need to broil it for a longer time.
- Preheat the broiler to high heat setting for 10 minutes. Place the already cleaned fillets in the pan. For fish with skin, orient the skin side down to avoid sticking.
- For seasoning part, use your preferred spices and herbs. You can simply spray pepper and salt over the fillets. With your fingers, rub the seasoning spices and oil (or butter) for coating, and broil it.
- You can also prepare a sauce by combining mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Apply this sauce over the fillet and wrap it with a foil.
- Either way, place the pan in the preheated broiler, maintaining a distance of 10 cm from the heat source for fresh fish, and 15 cm for a frozen one; broil fillets for 2 - 3 minutes and 4 - 6 minutes respectively.
- The next step is to remove the partly-cooked fish from it, and apply seasoning spices. Following this, broil for another 3 - 4 minutes. These repeated seasoning steps are not required, if you are using sauce.
- Your fish fillets are done, if they flake easily when tested with a knife or fork.
Preparing it is not messy at all, even if you are doing it for the first time. After you are done with cooking, all you need to do is dispose the foil. Make sure that you keep a close eye while cooking; in any unattended moment, it may get overcooked and unpalatable for eating, which you do not want. So, observe well till it is cooked perfectly as per your taste. You can even serve it with roasted peppers, grits, and vegetable salads.
According to nutritional facts, serving three ounces of deep-fried fish yield 211 calories, while serving the same amount of a broiled one provides 74 calories. So, better prepare it by broiling, instead of consuming oil-laden fried ones to avoid unwanted weight gain.