A sweet potato is a root vegetable, which was introduced to the rest of the world, when Columbus brought them over from the island of Saint Thomas. There are a number of ways of cooking sweet potatoes. You can simply bake, boil or microwave them. A number of people around the world bake a sweet potato and make salads from it. There are others, who bake sweet potatoes to make desserts as well. Let's see how to bake a sweet potato quickly.
Ways to Bake Sweet Potatoes
There are a few ways which you can implement, when you want to bake a sweet potato. There are people who choose to have sweet potatoes with their steaks. According to them, they compliment chicken or any other meat well. These sweet potatoes can be made on the grill or tossed in coal as well.
With this sweet potato recipe, you can make a dessert from the potatoes. Find the method below.
- Sweet Potatoes - 4
- Granulated Sugar - 3 tbsp.
- Cinnamon - 1½ tsp.
- Whipped Butter - ½ cup
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends.
- While you are cleaning the potatoes, heat the oven to 400º F.
- Brush the potatoes with the butter, then place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake them for about 30 to 40 minutes. The baking time will depend on the size of the potatoes.
- There are chances of juices coming out of the potatoes and spoiling the oven floor. However, it can easily be cleaned.
- To know if the potatoes are well baked, insert a fork at the center of the potato. If the fork goes in and comes out easily, understand, that the potatoes are well baked.
- Make a slit on the baked potatoes and add sugar and cinnamon to it. Stir well and your sweet potatoes are ready to be savored.
With this recipe, you will be able to make a salad or a side dish. Let's see the ingredients and the method to make the sweet potato salad.
- Sweet Potatoes (even sized) - 4
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Paprika - to taste
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and remove all the mud on them.
- Now brush each one of them well with vegetable oil.
- With a fork, make some holes in each of the sweet potatoes. This will ensure that the steam escapes out and the potatoes do not become soggy.
- Arrange the potatoes on an oven rack and bake them at 350º F for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Prick a fork in the potatoes to check, if they have become tender and are cooked well.
- Once they are cooked, make a slit on the potatoes to let the steam out.
- Then, hold the potatoes with a pot holder and press upwards until the filling bursts out through the cuts.
- Now, top the potatoes up with salt and paprika and you can savor them.
This recipe will make a delicious side dish. Once your guests have this dish, you will see them asking for more.
- Ground Cumin - ½ tsp.
- Salt - ½ tsp.
- Ground Red Pepper - ¼ tsp.
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Sweet Potatoes - 2 large
- Wash and clean the sweet potatoes. Peel the skin and cut them lengthwise and make wedges.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Till the oven is heating, in a small bowl combine cumin, salt and pepper.
- Take a large bowl and mix oil, the spice mixture and sweet potatoes. Toss the sweet potatoes so that they are evenly coated.
- In a baking sheet, arrange the potatoes in a single layer.
- Bake the potatoes till the edges are crisp and evenly cooked. You will need about 30 minutes to bake the wedges. Remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
Of all the recipes to bake a sweet potato, I like the last recipe the most. To me, it tastes like french fries. So in which way are you going to bake sweet potatoes?