What can we say about ham, except that it's one of the best meat varieties to hungrily devour. It's got everything you could possibly want in a meat―juiciness, flavor, texture, and visual appeal. Because ham is a little tough to cook on the gas, requiring hours to break down the meat's toughness, it's wise to start cooking it on the stove before transferring the ham to the oven, or just baking it right away in the oven to save yourself some time. Here, we have one of our favorite recipes on how to bake ham, which we know you'll simply love once you sink your teeth into it.
Baked Ham with Pineapple Slices
Baking ham in the oven is the most common method of preparing this meat. Eating it along with pineapple slices will add a whole new dimension to the way it ultimately tastes. The cooking time will depend on the size and cut of the ham. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for every pound of ham to be cooked well. You'll find that we've used ham on the bone to prepare this delectable dish.
- 500 g chunk of ham on the bone (set it in the refrigerator from the freezer during the day, and cook the meat in the night. This will help it defrost evenly.)
- Cloves, 10 to 15
- Pineapple slices (tinned)
- Brown sugar, ½ cup
- Dry mustard, 1 tsp.
- Honey, ½ cup
- Score the meat across the fatty layer only, in diamond-shaped patterns. This will help the meat cook better and for the glaze to get absorbed, beautifully. Insert the cloves into the ham, before baking it.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C, before placing the ham (fat-side up) on a baking tray (with a rack) and slipping it into the oven to cook. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, being sure that it isn't touching the bone from within.
- Bake the ham for 24 minutes, do not baste it with the drippings from the tray.
- Bathe the ham with the baste sauce (mix the three ingredients with a fork) after 24 minutes, repeating this move every 10 minutes for an additional cooking time of 30 minutes. The thermometer should read approximately 60° C, indicating that the meat is thoroughly cooked from within.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the ham rest for 15 minutes before serving. Slice the pineapples in half and serve it as a side dish.