Homemade spaghetti sauce is one of the easiest and most delicious items to prepare. All you need is the right ingredients and a good sense of what flavors you like in your sauces. We have some choice recipes for you.
Homemade Spaghetti Tomato Basil Sauce
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes; blanched, peeled and seeded
- Salt and pepper
- Blanch the tomatoes by placing them in simmering water, cover it and cook until the skins of the tomatoes split.
- After that, remove the tomatoes from heat, drain and let them cool in a colander.
- Meanwhile, cut the basil into strips. Do this by stacking them and then rolling them lengthwise. Then cut them across, to make strips.
- Mince the garlic.
- Dice the cooled tomatoes and set aside.
- Take a skillet and heat olive oil in it. Add garlic and a pinch of salt and black pepper to it.
- Keep on medium heat till garlic is fragrant. Do not brown.
- Add in basil and tomatoes to the oil and simmer until water is released.
- When the mixture turns into a thick sauce, add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with boiled pasta and serve.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix the bread crumbs, cheese, ground beef, parsley, garlic powder, ¼ tsp black pepper and beaten egg in it.
- Make 12 balls out of this mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- Now heat a saucepan, pour olive oil into it and sauté garlic and onions over medium heat.
- When the onions turn light, add the sugar, salt, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 90 minutes.
- Then, stir in basil, tomato paste, meatballs and ½ tsp pepper.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes and serve this delicious dish hot.
Chicken Spaghetti Tomato Sauce
- 3 lbs. chicken, boiled and chopped
- 2 cups broth, use from boiled chicken
- 3 tbs bacon grease
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Take a medium-sized skillet and sauté garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery and green onion in bacon grease until onions are translucent.
- Bring to a boil and add bay leaves and vegetables. Boil further for 20 minutes.
- Next, add the Worcestershire sauce and cook on medium-low heat until thick.
- Add tomato soup, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and boil for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti along with diced chicken and cook only until the sauce has been absorbed.
- If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little broth.
You can add in extra ingredients in any of the above recipes to experiment. Enjoy!