Among the best aspects of homemade spaghetti sauce are that it tastes much better than the commercial one. It is also much better for your health, as it lacks preservatives and can be tailored to your individual dietary restrictions. Thus, you can decrease the amount of salt or sugar you need.
The recipe can be modified to include or exclude certain vegetables. One can also cook it for a shorter or longer amount of time to achieve the thickness you desire. If you've never tried to make spaghetti sauce, don't worry, for the process is easy enough. Just ensure that you have all the raw ingredients ready before you get started.
- Very large cloves of garlic, pressed, 2
Green pepper, chopped coarsely, 1
- Sliced mushrooms, 32 oz.
- Tomato paste, 18 oz.
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Salt, 2 tbsp.
- Basil, 1½ tbsp.
- Oregano, 1 tbsp.
- Italian seasoning, 1 tbsp.
- Crushed red pepper, ⅛ tsp.
- Tomatoes, 1 peck
- Add half the onions, tomatoes, green pepper, and celery in a blender, and whirl till it reaches a desired consistency.
- For a smooth sauce, blend for a longer time. Take a very large pot and pour the blended vegetables into it.
- Add the remaining onions, spices, mushrooms, and tomato paste. Cook on a low flame for 3 hours.
- However, if the desired consistency is achieved earlier, you can stop. Cook longer for a thicker sauce.
- Take out the bay leaves and serve, or freeze it for a later use.
- Green bell pepper, chopped, ½
- Spicy Italian sausage, 1 lb.
- Sliced mushrooms, ½ cup
- Brown sugar, ¼ cup
- White wine, ¼ cup
- Red wine, ¼ cup
- Italian seasoning, ¼ cup
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Dried basil, 1 tsp.
- Garlic powder, 1 tsp.
- Crushed red pepper, ½ tsp.
- Dried oregano, ¼ tsp.
- Dried rosemary, 1 pinch
- Use a large, deep skillet to cook the sausage over medium heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble, and keep aside. Mix together white wine, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper in a large pot.
- Once the vegetables are well-cooked, add in the red wine, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, oregano, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sausage.
- Cook on a low heat for 45 minutes, and then add brown sugar and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garden fresh tomatoes, 2
- Green pepper, diced, 1
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp.
- Italian seasonings/fresh garden herbs, 1 - 2 tsp.
- Capers, 1 tsp.
- A handful of cherry tomatoes/2 handful of Roma tomatoes
- Handful of ripe, pitted, and sliced Kalamata olives
- Boil the tomatoes for about 5 minutes till you see small cracks appear on the skin.
- Then, take them out and allow them to cool. Once cool, peel the skin, which will come off easily.
- Put the tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Take a big pan and add the olive oil, seasonings, and tomatoes.
- Cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Throw in the olives, peppers, and capers.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes on medium heat. Add sugar or salt to taste. Pour over some spaghetti or rigatoni.