Homemade Pizza Step-by-Step
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can tomato paste
- 6 fluid ounces water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for Pizza Base
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus a little more for dusting
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 package active Fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Method for Base
- Heat the water to 105 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you do not have honey at home, you can also use sugar instead. Reduce the quantity to ½ teaspoon, lest the base becomes too sweet.
- Take a small mixing bowl to combine honey and yeast with ¼ cup warm water. Continue to stir the mixture till yeast and honey are well dissolved. Leave it aside.
- In another bowl, combine salt and flour together.
- Add oil to the dough and mix well.
- When the oil is well combined, add the yeast and honey mixture.
- Then add the remaining water and knead the dough till soft and well mixed.
- Keep the dough aside to rise.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead it on a floured board for 5 to 7 minutes.
- After kneading the dough, it should be smooth and firm.
- Cover the dough with a damp towel and place it on a warm spot for another 30 to 45 minutes to proof.
- After this, cut the dough to make four balls.
- Work the balls again and press the dough outward with your fingers till it is flat and round to a desired diameter.
Method for Sauce
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté onion in the saucepan, till they are tender and cooked.
- Once the onions are cooked, add tomato paste and water to the onions.
- Then add garlic powder, basil, sugar, oregano, marjoram, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes on low heat.
- Cover the dough with the sauce, if you want to add any more toppings add them at this stage, else top it with grated mozzarella cheese and bake the pizza for 20 to 25 minutes, till you see the cheese bubbling and the crust becomes golden brown in color.