Guacamole is a delicious dip that is thick in its consistency, served with tortilla chips. There are innumerable variations of guacamole. The guacamole preparation style has a recipe galore at its service. The basic recipe for preparing guacamole includes Guacamole ingredients; like, finely chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice and mashed avocado being the vital ingredient. The dip is tastefully seasoned with salt, a sprinkle of pepper and cumin.
Well, to get you acquainted with the origination of this dip, let me give you a brief account of how the name guacamole came into being. The Aztec word Ahuacatl is responsible for the origination of the term guacamole. Ahuacatl in Aztec was translated to aguacate in Spanish, which means avocado - a pear shaped tropical fruit. The suffix mole in Mexican means sauce. Guacamole, we may conclude is an avocado sauce.
The avocado is a pear shaped fruit, enveloped by a green skin with a blackish tinge that encloses a yellow colored pulp and large seed in between. An integral ingredient of the guacamole, avocado has an intriguing history to back it up. The term ahuacatl literally means testicle tree. The tree resembles the male anatomy, hence the name. It is believed that the women in Aztec village were debarred from leaving their houses during the avocado harvest, due to the fear of sexual impurity sinking into the woman's system.
How to Prepare Guacamole at Home?
By preparing guacamole at home, you can rest assured to serve your guests with a dip that can make even the most drab dish, mouth-watering and lip-smacking! Yes, you heard it right! All you need to do is to grasp these instructions to make guacamole. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you sail through to achieve this sumptuous smoothie.
- 2 or 3 ripe avocados
- fresh minced garlic
- chopped onion
- 1/2 of a red, green, or yellow bell pepper
- green chilies
- lime juice
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Hygiene in the kitchen is very essential. After all, you are handling food and food stuff. You should start with decontaminating your hands. After a scrubbing hand-wash, you should wash the avocado fruit with warm water. Wash the chopping board and cutting instruments and wipe them dry with a soft cloth.
- While choosing the avocado fruit try to lay your hands on California avocado (Hass or Fuerte variety of avocado). The California avocado has higher fat content and deliver taste that is traditional and tralatitious. Ripe California avocados are preferable for the preparation and need to be handled with care.
- Mash the fruit by using a fork or with a potato masher. You may prefer a smoothie or a lumpy mesh. It's your choice!
- Take one lime and squeeze the juice onto the mixture and plow the mixture.
- Bring on chopped onion, minced garlic and sprinkle some salt and pepper according to your taste preference. Add some green chillies as well and if you are a foodie that swears by spices, you could go ahead and add a little chili sauce to the mixture!
- Keep stirring the mixture until it reaches the consistency you prefer. Add cilantro and some bell pepper to enhance the texture. Gorge on!
Homemade guacamole is very rich in providing nutritional benefits. Here are some guacamole nutrition facts. The main ingredient avocado consists of potassium and is a rich source of Beta - sitosterol which serves to be an antioxidant. It's a healthy avocado recipe indeed! Guacamole prepared for two consists of a .25 mg of vitamin A, 10 mg of vitamin E and a total carbohydrate content of 13 gm. Nevertheless, one should take into consideration the calorie content that the dip delivers. It has high fat content. Thus, the calories prove to be a setback for the waistline controllers! However, taking a dip of this indulgence, in moderation, would not be a crime, right!
So, what are you waiting for? With the guacamole dip recipe at hand and the nutrition count on your fingertips, you could drown yourself into the taste quarters of this dip. Guacamole will make you say this for sure - "hmm! It's finger-licking good!" ... Guaranteed! ...