Ice cream is a dessert that no one can resist. Be it vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or any other flavor, a scoop of ice cream can attract people of all ages. Among the different flavors, coconut has become one of the most popular ones amongst people. Besides, with the advent of ice cream makers, making it at home, no longer remains a difficult task. Let us look at some of the homemade recipes to make this tempting dessert.
Shredded Coconut Ice Cream
Shredded Coconut Ice Cream
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 1½ cups
- Sugar, 8 oz.
- Heavy Cream, 8 oz.
- Eggs, 3
- Salt, ¼ tsp.
- Sweetened Coconut (shredded) 4 oz.
- Half-and-Half (half milk and half light cream), 8 oz.
- Cornstarch, 1 tsp.
- Vanilla Extract, 2 tsp.
- Break the eggs in a mixing bowl and whip it with sugar, salt, and cornstarch with a hand-held mixer. Keep it aside after the mixture becomes thick.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the shredded coconut on it. Toast for 5-7 minutes in a preheated oven. Take it out of the oven, only when it becomes light brown in color, and keep it for cooling.
- In a cooking pan, take coconut milk and half-and-half. Cook it on a medium flame and let it boil. Take it off from the flame and pour it into the bowl containing the egg mixture, and stir well.
- Transfer the whole mixture into a clean cooking pan and keep on stirring it on a low flame, so that it does not boil. Continue to do so, till the mixture becomes a little thick.
- Take another bowl and pour in the contents of the cooking pan into it through a sieve. When it is totally cooled, add vanilla extract, heavy cream, and toasted coconut, and mix gently. Chill it in the refrigerator, after covering the bowl with a lid.
- Take out from the refrigerator after 5-6 hours and place it in the ice cream maker and follow the instructions mentioned in its manual. Remove the ice cream from the machine and store it in an air-tight container. Place it in the freezer for 3-4 hours and your dessert is ready to be savored.
- Crisp Rice Cereal, (crushed), 16 oz.
- Vanilla Ice Cream, 1.8 ltr. or 8 cups
- Mini Marshmallows, 5 cups
- Assorted Nuts, (chopped) 8 oz.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Pieces, 8 oz.
- Butter, 6 tbsp.
- Flaked Coconut, 1⅓ cups
- Evaporated Milk, 13 oz.
- In a frying pan, heat butter, and fry the coconut until it turns light brown in color. Add the nuts and cereals, and stir for a minute or two and set aside.
- Take milk in a cooking pan and combine it with chocolate. Wait for the chocolate to melt and then allow it to boil. After it boils once, let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. Do not forget to keep on stirring. Remove from heat and cool the fudge at room temperature.
- Take a 13 x 9 inch pan and spread the bottom with some of the fried coconut, nuts and cereals. Add one scoop of vanilla ice cream over it and pour in the chocolate fudge. Continue to do so till all the ingredients are used up.
- Chill it in the freezer, till it becomes firm. Take out from the freezer and serve in ice cream bowls.