Making breadsticks at home is no doubt, a scary process. At times, we tend to steer clear from making them, for fear of messing up the entire recipe. Not anymore! Here are some fun and simple steps on how to bake your own mouth-watering breadsticks. This would definitely earn you a pat on your back at the dinner table.
Breadstick Recipe Made with Yeast
- Dry yeast, 1 packet
- Warm water (heated to 115 °F), ¼ cup
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp.
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Salt, ¼ tsp.
- Warm milk, heated to 115 °F
- All-purpose flour, 2½ to 3 cups
- Caraway seeds for garnishing
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the ¼ cup of water and sprinkle yeast into it; let this stand for five minutes.
- Combine olive oil, sugar, salt, milk, and 2 cups of flour, into the water-yeast mixture.
- Beat the ingredients briskly for about five minutes, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl into stretchy strands.
- Now, add ½ to 1 cup of flour to the dough to make it stiff.
- Knead it for about 10 minutes till the dough becomes smooth to the touch.
- Transfer it to a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and place it in a warm place for about an hour, till the dough doubles in size.
- Knead it again to expel trapped air from the dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal halves.
- Cover the pieces and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Roll each piece into 12-inch logs.
- Place these on a greased baking sheet about an inch away from one another.
- Brush the top with a little oil and sprinkle it caraway seeds.
- Keep the rolled sticks in a warmer place for 20 minutes till they are puffy.
- Bake them at 350 °F for 15 to 20 minutes till they turn golden in color.
- After the sticks turn golden, take them out and let them cool on the pan for about 2 minutes. Your breadsticks are now ready to serve with a steaming bowl of soup.
Breadstick Recipe Made Without Yeast
- All-purpose flour, 1½ cups
- Soy flour, ½ cup
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Seasoning of your choice
- Vegetable oil, 3 tbsp.
- Water, ¾ cup
- Combine the all-purpose flour, soy flour, sugar, and salt, in a large mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, mix the water and vegetable oil together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, gradually, and stir well.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- If required, dust it with all-purpose flour.
- Divide into equal-sized pieces and roll the dough into a thin 1-inch logs.
- If you want crunchier bread, make the logs thinner; if you want softer bread, make thicker logs.
- Line the sticks on a baking sheet, about ½ an inch to 1 inch away from one another.
- Bake them in the oven at 350 °F until golden brown in color for about 15 to 20 minutes depending on their thickness.
- Once they are done, let them cool at room temperature.
- Enjoy the sticks with your choice of dip, sauce, or soup.