Making and canning homemade apple butter is absolutely easy. After reading this piece, you too would testify the claim. Apple butter can be preserved in containers. As you become a pro at making apple butter, you could well spread the enticing taste around ... how? Just prepare the apple butter, store it in little bottles and gift them to your near and dear ones!
How to Make Homemade Apple Butter
- Unsweetened applesauce - 3 quarts
- White sugar - 3 ½ cups
- Brown sugar - 2 cups
- Apple juice - 1/3 cup
- Ground nutmeg - ¾ teaspoon
- Ground allspice - ¼ teaspoon
- Ground cloves - ¾ teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1 tablespoon
- Pour applesauce, apple juice and sugar in a slow cooker, and mix the contents well. Make sure that you cover the crock pot lid tight enough and allow it to cook for 3 hours on low flame.
- After the stipulated time has lapsed, add cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice to the cooker and allow it to cook for the next 3 hours. Add the spices as per your taste requirement.
- You may remove the lid and let the preparation cook for 2 hours. Without the lid the sauce becomes thicker. However, if you do not find the sauce thickening, you may give the sauce some more time to cook.
- When you find the consistency appropriate, pour this mixture in jars. Do not fill the jars up to the brim.
- Place the jars in a pan of boiling water and process the same for 20 minutes. Your homemade apple butter is ready to be preserved for 6 months.
- Apples - 5 lbs
- White sugar - 4 cups
- Apple cider - 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon - ½ teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg - ½ teaspoon
- Wash and peel the apples clean. Chop them into pieces and put them in a crock pot, gradually adding to sugar to the preparation.
- As you continue to add sugar, stir the contents simultaneously in order to achieve an even textured mixture.
- In order to prevent the apple from sticking to the bottom of the cooker, pour apple cider in it.
- Next, add cinnamon and ground nutmeg and continue to stir so that all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Now, close the cooker with a tight lid and allow it to cook on high flame for 3 hours. After that, on low flame, allow it to cook for 9 hours.
- After every 1 hour, keep checking the condition of the apple. The apple should turn mushy after 5 hours. Also, they should be soft to touch and there should be juice present in the cooker.
- Some of the apples and juice should be placed in the ladle. Process these fruits so that they become soft. After every few minutes, allow the steam to escape. After they have been processed well, put it in a container. Continue with this process till all the apples have been processed.
- Now, again put this mixture back in the slow cooker. This time, allow the mixture to be cooked for a period of 1 to 4 hours but without a lid. If you want, you can add a few more spices at this stage.
With this, you complete making homemade apple butter. So, before you try your hand at another apple delicacy, make sure you master this one. It is absolutely delicious to taste and will be liked by one and all.