Fast food, in recent times, has drawn the attention of people in every country. Likewise, in the Greek culture, too, the Gyro sandwich is a popular fast food. It is made from various rotisserie meats, salad-vegetables such as tomatoes, lettuce, and onions, with yogurt-based tzatziki sauce. Pita bread is often used to prepare this sandwich.
In some countries, however, it may also contain French fries or mustard. There are also different variations of pita bread used as part of this sandwich. The meats traditionally used for this recipe are pork, chicken, lamb, or beef, which is often pressed into a conical shape and placed vertically on a spit rod for roasting. Usually, generous portions of meat are shaved off and seared, after which it is placed on a round piece of warmed or grilled pita bread.
Gyro Sandwich Recipe
- Ground beef, 2 lb
- Water, 4 tablespoons
- Lemon juice, 2 tablespoons
- Salt, 2 teaspoons
- Ground cumin, 2 teaspoons
- Dried oregano, 2 teaspoons
- Pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves (crushed), 4
- Onion (chopped), 2
- Vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons
- Pita bread, 6 pieces
- Shredded lettuce, 4 cups
- Plain yogurt, 1 cup
- Dried mint, 4 teaspoons
- Sugar, 2 teaspoons
- Cucumber (peeled and chopped), 2
- Tomato (chopped), 1
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef, water, lemon juice, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, garlic, and onion.
- After mixing well, shape the meat into about 4 to 5 thin patties.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the patties over medium heat.
- It will take about 12 to 15 minutes for the patties to cook, but make sure you keep turning them frequently to avoid them from sticking to the skillet.
- While the patties cook, split each pita bread, halfway, with a knife, separating it to form a pocket.
- Place the patty in the bread and top it with lettuce.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, mint, sugar, and cucumber.
- Place a spoon of cucumber mixture on top of the lettuce and top it with the tomato.
- Your gyro sandwich is now ready to be savored.
Chicken Gyro Sandwich
Ingredients for Marinade
- Olive oil, 1 cup
- Fresh lemon juice, ¾ cup
- Garlic (minced), ¼ cup
- Dried mint, 2 tablespoons
- Dried oregano, 2 tablespoons
- Black pepper, 2 tablespoons
- Salt, 1 tablespoon
- Boneless, skinless, chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces), 10 pounds
- Pita bread, 24
- Feta cheese (crumbled), 12 ounces
- Cream cheese (softened), 1½ pounds
- Plain yogurt, 4 cups
- Fresh lemon juice, ¼ cup
- Garlic (minced), 2 teaspoons
- Dried dill, 1 tablespoon
- Salt, 2 teaspoons
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients together.
- Keep ¾ cup of the marinade aside.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken pieces and toss well. Refrigerate the chicken for about 2 to 2½ hours.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the chicken in batches till well cooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and divide it evenly among quart-sized freezer bags.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken evenly, and shake the bag, well.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the yogurt-dill-sauce ingredients and whisk it with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and place foil-wrapped pitas in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Warm chicken in a microwave.
- On the pita bread, place one serving of chicken, yogurt dill sauce, and crumbled feta. Roll the bread and serve.