Fish is rich in essential fatty acids, good cholesterol (HDL) and essential nutrients. You can prepare a large variety of dishes by using different cooking methods like roasting, baking, grilling, simmering, etc. Grilling is a very healthy way of cooking. When you choose the fish, make sure that it should be fresh.
If the flesh is soft, then it can be grilled quickly. It should not be over-grilled, as it will then fall apart and dry out. If the flesh is firm then the texture will be similar to that of pork or beef. It will then take a longer time to cook it. Due to a large variety of fish, you can make a number of sumptuous grilled delicacies.
Grilled Habanero & Lime Salmon
- Salmon Steaks, 4
- Orange Juice, ½ cup
- Butter, (softened) ¼ cup
- Lime Juice, 3 tbsp.
- Vegetable Oil, ¼ cup
- Tequila, 1 tbsp.
- Garlic, (minced) 1 clove
- Habanero Pepper, (minced) 1 tbsp.
- Lime Zest, (grated) 1 tbsp.
- Lime Zest, (grated) 2 tsp.
- Habanero Pepper, (minced) 2 tsp.
- Lime Juice, 1 tbsp.
- Garlic Salt, ¼ tsp.
- In a bowl, mix orange juice, vegetable oil, tequila, 3 tbsp. lime juice, 1 tbsp. habanero pepper, 1 tbsp. lime zest, and garlic. Keep aside a small amount of this mixture to use as a basting sauce. Pour the remaining mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Keep salmon in the shallow dish and cover it with the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate it for 2 - 4 hours. Turn it over frequently.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic salt, softened butter, 2 tsp. habanero pepper, 1 tbsp. lime juice, and 2 tsp. lime zest.
- Cover it and refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill on medium heat. Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Place salmon on the grill and cook for about 5 - 8 minutes per side, until the flesh can be flaked with a fork.
- Transfer the salmon to a serving dish and top it with a mixture of butter, habanero pepper, lime zest, and lime juice.
Beurre Bleu with Grilled Fish
- Shallots, (peeled and finely chopped) 2
- Skin-on Fillets Fish, (such as striped bass, blue fish or mahi mahi) 46 oz.
- Red Wine Vinegar, ¼ cup
- Dry-style Blueberry Wine, 1 cup
- Lemon Zest, (chopped) ½ tsp.
- Wild Blueberries, (fresh or frozen) ¾ cup
- Cayenne Pepper, as per taste
- Lemon Juice, 1 lemon
- Unsalted Butter, (cut into small pieces and chilled) 8 tbsp.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, as per taste
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Chives, (¾-inch cut) 2 tbsp.
- Sea Salt
- Lemon, (optional) (quartered) 1
- Heat the grill at a high temperature.
- In a skillet, mix together vinegar, blueberry wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots, and ¼ cup of blueberries. Bring this mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow it to boil slowly. Reduce the sauce to get the quantity of about ¼ cup.
- Over medium heat, whisk in the butter to make a smooth emulsion. Add 1 tbsp. at a time. Filter through a fine sieve. Season it with a pinch of cayenne and sea salt. Keep it warm.
- Rub a little quantity of oil over the fish and season it with pepper and salt.
- Grill it for about 5 - 8 minutes per side, until it becomes opaque.
- Just before you serve it, swirl the chives and remaining ½ cup of blueberries into the beurre bleu. Serve it over the dish.
- In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, coarsely chopped onions, chopped garlic, sliced green onions, soy sauce, and water. Cook this mixture over medium heat for about 2 hours. The mixture should reduce to syrup. Strain it.
- Grill the fish to desired color and softness.
- Sauté onions in hot oil for about 1 minute. Then add the soy-sugar mixture. It will come to bubble when mixed.
- Brush the sauce on mahi mahi for last minute cooking.
- When you serve the dish, spoon rest of the sauce over it.
Fish oils are extremely beneficial for our health. Eating it on a regular basis improves the quality of your skin, hair and eyesight. Prepare some of the above mentioned recipes and cook a healthy meal for your family.