Let it be a cocktail or a mocktail, grenadine is used in a lot of drinks all over the world. But do you know what is grenadine? Well, grenadine is a pinkish red colored syrup which is used in making many drinks. It is not only famous for its color but it is also loved for its slightly tarty taste. The word grenadine is derived from a French word grenade, which means pomegranates. It was invented in the mainland of Granada. There are more than 500 grenadine drinks which are famous all around the world.
Grenadine constitutes water, sugar and fruit juices. It is usually made from pomegranates but can also be made from blackcurrant, raspberry, cherry, redcurrant, blackberry, etc. It can be easily prepared at home. You just need to take out the seed of the pomegranates and get them simmered till the juice gets extracted from the seeds. Get it separated from the left out seeds and then boil it with equal amount of sugar for 15 minutes. Your grenadine syrup is ready. The color of the syrup will not depend upon the fruit used, but yes, the taste will. You can also get grenadine syrup in packed bottles. But these syrups usually contain artificial colors and flavors. So, if you want to taste the real grenadine, prepare it at home. Once you get the syrup, you can try it with different drinks.
Famous Mocktails and Cocktails Made form Grenadine
Grenadine is a famous syrup, the use of which has resulted in some amazing cocktails and mocktails. Previously, it was famous for its combination with gin, but later on, with more experiments and combinations, it gained popularity with vodkas and tequilas too. Apart from the alcoholic drinks, non alcoholic grenadine drinks also got famous due to its combination with different soft drinks. Following are some more examples of grenadine drinks, which are top rated in the world of cocktails and mocktails.
- A mixture of grenadine with cola which is named as Roy Roger.
- A combination of ginger ale with grenadine which is known as Shirley Temple
- A blend of grenadine, orange juice and pineapple juice, which is famous as Pineapple-Orange Twist.
- A Tropical drink which is very unusual and has a combination of grenadine, mint syrup and milk.
- Simple, appealing and specially for adults. A simple combination of grenadine with plain soda water.
- Considered as one of the best cocktails with the combination of orange juice, tequila and grenadine. It is famous with the name of Tequila Sunrise.
- A variant of Tequila Sunrise known as Hawaiian Sunrise. It is a combination of coconut rum, mandarin flavored vodka, pineapple juice and grenadine.
- Virgin Sex on the Beach is one of the top rated drinks. It has a heavenly combination of orange juice, cranberry juice, peach nectar and grenadine syrup.
- Singapore Sling has a great combination of gin, club soda, cherry brandy and of course, grenadine syrup.
- Hurricane has a combination of many interesting components like gin, vodka, light rum, Bacardi 151 rum, grapes fruit juice, pineapple juice, grenadine syrup, amaretto almond liqueur and triple sec.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake can also set your mood. It is a combination of vanilla vodka, pineapple juice and grenadine syrup.
Apart from this, there is a huge list which contains more than 500-600 different combinations. Bartenders are trying their level best to invent more and more combinations that can attract and satisfy more customers. So try out different types of combinations with grenadine and discover the best taste out of the hundreds. Cheers!