A German pancake is similar to Yorkshire pudding, and is a common breakfast item. It is made with eggs, flour and milk with a seasoning of vanilla and cinnamon. Sugar is also used according to an individuals taste preferences. Unlike the American pancake, which is fluffy, a German pancake is flat. It is baked in a skillet and flattens as soon as removed from the oven. It is generally served with freshly squeezed lemon juice, butter, powdered sugar, or fruit toppings. Pancakes with maple syrup are not very common in Germany.
Classic German Pancakes
- Eggs, 6
- Milk, 1 cup
- All-purpose flour, 1 cup
- Sugar, ½ cup
- For making the batter, mix milk, flour, and sugar in a bowl. Beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a large non-stick metal pan (skillet)
- Pour enough pancake batter into the skillet so as to cover the whole pan in a thin layer.
- Start flipping as soon as the edges start drying. (Use a large spatula for this process). It does not take much time on the second side. Continue baking the rest of the pancakes in the similar way.
Applesauce, cinnamon sugar or syrup can be added as toppings. While serving, the pancakes can be folded in half with the topping on the inside. To add to the taste, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over top.
- Eggs, 4
- All-purpose flour, ½ cup
- Sugar, 1 tbsp.
- Salt, ½ tbsp.
- Milk, ⅔ cup
- Butter, 2 tbsp.
- Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced, 2
- Sugar, 2 tbsp.
- Cinnamon, ¾ tbsp.
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Use an electric blender to beat the eggs.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, milk, and beat again.
- Add butter in pan and preheat two 9 inch pie pans in a hot oven.
- In the pan pour the batter and arrange apple slices on top of it.
- Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Let it bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Potatoes, 3 lb.
- Onion, medium size, 1
- All-purpose flour, 1 tbsp.
- Egg, 1 tbsp.
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Grate potatoes and onion into fine pieces.
- Mix well all the ingredients to form the batter for the pancakes.
- Pour some oil in the pan and heat.
- Use a tablespoon or a scoop and place small portions of batter on the pan and flatten them.
- Flip when the edges turn light brown.
- Eggs, 6
- All-purpose flour, ¾ cup
- Milk, ¾ cup
- Salt, ½ tbsp.
- Sugar, ¼ cup
- Powdered sugar
- Red currant jelly
- Preheat oven at 500°F.
- Beat eggs (at room temperature) until light and fluffy
- Add small amounts of flour and milk alternately.
- Add salt and sugar and beat until blended.
- Put pizza pan to heat, in an oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and keep the butter in it to melt.
- Then pour the egg mixture on the pan and place it in the oven. Bake until puffy, crisp, and brown (it will rise in peaks).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drop spoonfuls of red currant jelly.