Most of us love potatoes, and find ways and means of somehow sneaking them into our meals. Whether as an appetizer, or part of our main course, the presence of potatoes makes them delightful. While there are several ways of incorporating these into our meals, fried mashed potatoes are one of the most delicious options. Among the various appetizer recipes, these are found to be most popular, simply because they are delicious and very easy to make.
Deep-fried Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potato Balls
Mashed Potato Balls
- Dried Bread Crumbs, 4 cups
- Idaho Potatoes, 2 (peeled and cut)
- Eggs, 4
- Mozzarella Cheese, 1 cup
- Flour,1 cup
- Buttermilk, ½ cup
- Milk, ¼ cup
- Scallions, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Butter, ¼ cup
- Chicken Base, 1 tbsp
- Cayenne Pepper, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1 tsp
- White pepper, ½ tsp
- Nutmeg, a pinch
- Chicken Broth, 2 cans (15-ounce)
- All-Purpose Flour, 2 tbsp
- Unsalted Butter, 2 tbsp (¼ stick)
- Apple Butter, 2 tbsp
- Hot Sauce, 2 tsp
- Worcestershire Sauce, 2 tsp
- Thyme, 4 sprigs (leaves removed)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes thoroughly, until they are soft.
- Strain the potatoes from the water, and put them back in a skillet. On a medium flame, cook the potatoes with the butter, milk, salt, white pepper, chicken stock, scallions, and nutmeg, for a few minutes. Mash the entire mixture thoroughly, until it is smooth. Do not cook for too long, as this can cause the mixture to become sticky. Allow this mixture to cool.
- Once cool, form these mashed potatoes into cakes, and add in a little cheese in the center. Form them into the size of golf balls.
- Beat the eggs together with the buttermilk to make an egg wash.
- Dip the balls first in flour mixed with cayenne pepper, then in the egg batter, and then in the bread crumbs, and deep-fry, on a medium flame, in hot oil, until they turn golden brown. Set these aside on a platter.
- For the dipping sauce, in a large skillet, on a low flame, melt the butter, and add in the flour. Cook until the flour turns a golden brown color, for about 3-4 minutes.
- While stirring, slowly pour in the chicken broth, and then add in the two sauces, the apple butter, thyme leaves, and salt and pepper.
- Allow this blend to cook for about 5 minutes, and then pour it into a serving bowl. Serve it as a dip along with the deep-fried mashed potato balls.
Note: You can also make fried mashed potato cakes or patties with this same recipe. Just make slightly larger balls, and then flatten them to make the cakes or patties.
To this basic recipe, there are several variations in the stuffing that you can add, to make it interesting. Some suggestions are given below:
- Instead of cheese, add in bits of bacon as a stuffing.
- Make a stuffing of your favorite cheese, put in sliced olives, and garnish with oregano and thyme. Stuff the mashed potatoes with this mixture, and make rolls, to be deep-fried later.
- Sweet corn and chopped capsicum are other interesting ingredients that you can add while making the batter.
- Serve mashed potatoes with a sauce of your choice, or with a some sour cream, a cheesy dip, or a mayonnaise dip with garlic and oregano.
Chinese Style Deep-fried Mashed Potatoes
- Oil for deep-frying
- Potatoes, 2/3 lb (boiled and peeled)
- White Bread, 4 slices (cut into circles, 2-inch diameter)
- Carrot, 1 (finely chopped)
- Egg White, 1
- Parsley,1 tbsp (minced)
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Cornstarch,1 tsp
- MSG, a pinch
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft. Mash them while they are still hot.
- Add in the carrots, MSG, the egg white, and the cornstarch. Mix in all the ingredients well.
- On every circle of bread, press this mashed potato mixture, and cover it with parsley, followed by the black sesame seeds.
- Deep-fry these rounds in oil that has been heated, on a medium flame, until they turn golden brown and crisp. While frying, ensure that the potato mixture faces downwards.
As mentioned before, all you need to do, to make this fried mashed potato recipe more delicious is to keep trying out new ingredients to go with it, and add unique twists and surprises to this already yummy treat! Create your own recipes, and treat yourself and your guests to your new inventions! Enjoy!