Tortilla is a very popular Mexican and Spanish food item. Mention of tortillas can be found in ancient Mayan legends, which dates back to 10,000 B.C. These legends give credit for the invention of this dish to a Mayan peasant, who first prepared this food item to feed the hungry monarch. At that time, it was made from corn and maize. The ancient Aztecs are also known to have made similar recipes out of corn flour.
In Spanish, the word Tortilla means a small cake. Many variants of this dish are popular across all the Spanish-speaking regions around the world. Now, let's proceed and take a look at a couple of recipes that you can try at home.
- Wheat Flour, 4 cups
- Salt, 2 tsp.
- Butter, 2 cups
- Water, 2½ cups
- Mix the salt and flour together.
- Mix butter with water and put it inside the microwave. Set heat level on HIGH and cook until the butter melts completely.
- Take out the water-butter solution and slowly pour in the flour-salt mixture. Stir slowly with a spoon to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Let the mixture rest till it has cooled enough, so that you can knead the dough with your hands.
- After you have kneaded the dough, let it rest for 8-10 minutes in the kneading bowl and secure the mouth of the bowl with a well-fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Uncover the bowl, take out the dough, and divide it into 24 equal sized dough balls, by pinching the dough with your fingers.
- Apply a little cooking oil to each of these balls so that they do not stick to your hands.
- Let them rest for another 8-10 minutes, covered as before.
- Apply a little flour to a rolling-pin and roll them out.
- Prepare the grill by warming it on a medium flame.
- Lay the rolled out dough cakes upon the grill and cook till it gets a slightly freckled look, before turning it over with a spatula or tong.
- Cook the other side till air bubbles get accumulated. Force the bubbles out by pressing them with a cloth or tong.
- Keep adjusting the heat so that they don't get burnt. You can substitute the butter with lard or margarine.
With Olive Oil
- All-purpose Flour, 4 cups
- Warm Milk, 2 cups
- Salt, 2 tsp.
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Baking Powder, 1 tbsp.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and oil together in a kneading bowl and then slowly blend this mixture with warm milk.
- Knead the dough for about 2 minutes, sprinkling dry flour over it occasionally until it looks and feels like a dough prepared for pizza.
- Cover the kneading bowl with a well-fitting lid or cloth tied around it's mouth and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into balls, roll them out, prepare the grill, and cook the rolled out dough cakes. You can also use whole wheat flour.
You can use these recipes to make tortilla additives like soups, appetizers, etc. Use your imagination to prepare some delicious Mexican food, by innovating upon these basic recipes. A pinch of creativity is all that it takes to turn your kitchen into a culinary paradise.