Children's birthday parties are not complete without them. Many adults are found to have them every day, year after year, without getting bored. Some couples also have them as their wedding cakes. They are none other than cupcakes or fairy cakes, one of the most loved cake types in the world. Fairy cake is another name for cupcakes, mostly used in the UK. As a kid you must have loved decorating your cake with sugar, cream, jams, or grated coconut. Now, if you are interested in baking your own cakes and decorating them for a party or high tea, here's an easy recipe.
- 125 g of plain or all-purpose flour
- 250 g of condensed milk
- 85 g of butter
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract/flavor
- Muffin tin and muffin cases (in required number)
Method of Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F)
- Mix together flour, condensed milk, egg, vanilla flavor or extract, butter, and baking powder in a large bowl and beat with a mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the batter looks fluffy and smooth (homogeneously mixed), it is ready to bake.
- Put the batter in muffin cases with a spoon and bake for 15-20 minutes. The cakes are ready when they are golden brown, raised, and fluffy to touch.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and leave them to cool for an hour or two before decorating.
For making a two or three-tier fairy cake birthday or wedding cake, you need to make more than 25 cakes. You should note that the basic recipe for making cupcakes is the same, the skill only lies in the decoration!
Fairy Cake Ideas for Decoration
There are simply endless ideas for decorating cupcakes. As there are a variety of cake decoration items available in the market, your creativity will know no bounds.
- When talking of decorating cakes, one of the first thing to cross the mind is chocolate frosting and icing. Chocolate icing can be easily made at home. Use different techniques like dots, swirls, spread, etc., to decorate fairy cakes.
- Frosting with natural coloring and flavors like vanilla, lemon, orange, etc., can also be made at home. Whipped cream frosting and buttercream frosting are popularly used.
- Popular cake decorating items include hundreds and thousands (sprinkles), chocolate buttons, edible glitter, jams, jellies.
- You can go for cake toppers like fresh fruits, sugar frosted rose petals, etc. These petals can be made by dipping rose petals in egg white and dusting them in powdered sugar and keeping them to set overnight.