Salads and non-vegetarian food like fish and meats are also part of their menu. One of their popular dishes is bean stew falafel with lamb and pigeon.
- Lean beef or lamb, cut into small pieces
- Arabic pita bread: 1 loaf, dried in the oven until crisp
- Water: 6 cups
- Cooked rice: 2 cups
- Onion: 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic: 5 cloves, crushed
- Butter: 3 tbsp.
- Vinegar: 1 tsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a broth by boiling meat in water with salt, pepper, and chopped onions, until the meat is tender.
- Skim off the froth, and remove the onions.
- Take away the meat with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Then, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan.
- Fry all the meat over high heat, until it becomes brown. Keep it in a serving bowl.
- Then, fry garlic in the remaining butter until golden brown and stir in the other contents.
- Pour vinegar into the broth and boil them.
- After that, break the crispy bread pieces into the soup.
- Place the meat and the rice separately and serve.
- Sifted flour: 5 cups
- Eggs: 3
- Beaten egg: 1
- Chopped onion: 1 large
- Water: 1 cup
- Sesame seeds: ½ cup
- Baking powder: 5 tsp.
- Scant salt: 1 tsp.
- Dry onion soup mix: 1 tsp.
- In a large mixing bowl, place coarsely chopped onion. Keep 2 teaspoons of onion for later use.
- Add beaten eggs into water, and mix it with a wire whisk or rotary beater until well blended.
- Then, sieve flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the sesame seeds.
- Add mixture of egg with the mixture of flour, until a soft ball is formed.
- Turn out onto a floured board; knead lightly for 3 minutes and make a roll that is about ¾ inches thick.
- Cut into flat rounds, each about 8 inches in diameter.
- Pour the remaining chopped onions, and brush it lightly with beaten eggs.
- Place it on a baking sheet, and bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the onion bread becomes brown in color.
- Medium potatoes: 6-8
- Seasoned ground beef: 1 cup
- Beef stock
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, and soak them in salted water.
- Then drain the potatoes, dry well and fry.
- Place the potatoes on absorbent paper towels to cool.
- Fill the center of the potatoes with seasoned ground beef.
- Then arrange all the potatoes in a pot, cover halfway with the well-seasoned beef stock, and cook slowly.
- Serve the stuffed potatoes hot.
- To tickle your taste buds, you can also use tomato juice instead of beef stock.
Egyptian Cake Recipe
- Unbleached flour: 1¾ cup
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Butter: ½ cup
- Strong brewed coffee: ½ cup
- Milk: ½ cup
- Semi-sweet Chocolate: 4 ounces
- Eggs: 2 (large)
- Baking powder: 2 tsp.
- Cinnamon (ground): 1 tsp.
- Clove (ground): ⅛ tsp.
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp.
- Sift the dry ingredients, such as flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and clove powder together and keep aside.
- Take coffee in a saucepan, and add chocolate. Cook on slow flame, till the chocolate melts. Keep stirring slowly but constantly, during this process. Once melted, leave it aside for a while till it cools down.
- Now, with an electric mixer, mix butter and sugar till it becomes smooth and light. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Further, add the chocolate mixture to this.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and keep mixing. Alternate with milk and keep adding both little by little. Mix the batter thoroughly.
- Now, preheat the oven to 350°F, and line 2 8-inch baking trays.
- Pour the batter in each.
- Keep the trays in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Check by running a thin knife or a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it means the cake is done.
- After a minute of cooling, remove from pan, and keep in cooling racks till it cools off completely.
- Add a frosting on the cake.