Native to the Indian subcontinent, the eggplant belongs to the nightshade family of plants. It is commonly known as aubergine, brinjal, or baigain (in Hindi) and is a popular vegetable among the Indians. Have a look at some simple Indian eggplant dishes.
- Rounded medium-sized eggplant, 8
- Chopped onion, 3
- Yogurt, ¼ cup
- Oil, 4 tbsp.
- Coarsely powdered roasted peanuts, 3 tbsp.
- Grated ginger-garlic, 1 tsp.
- Chili powder, 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds, ½ tsp.
- Mustard seeds, ½ tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Leaving the stalks intact, make two slits to form a cross. Leave the eggplant in cold, salted water for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, ginger, garlic, chili powder, and salt.
- Remove the eggplants from water and pat them dry.
- Stuff them with the yogurt filling and set aside the excess filling.
- In a large skillet, heat oil, splutter mustard and cumin seeds, and spoon in the excess filling.
- Add 1½ cup water, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer.
- Add the eggplants and let it cook until the eggplant is soft to touch and the gravy has become thick.
Baigan Ka Bhartha
- Chopped tomatoes, 3
- Chopped onions, 2
- Eggplant, 2 cut into large cubes
- Oil, ½ cup
- Coriander leaves (fresh and chopped), 2 tbsp.
- Lemon juice, ½ tsp.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Garam masala, 1 tsp.
- Paprika, 1 tsp.
- Turmeric, ½ tsp.
- Red chili powder, ½ tsp.
- Heat a heavy skillet with oil in it, add eggplant cubes, and sauté until they become soft.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the skillet once again, add onions, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the eggplant and keep mashing it as you stir.
- Mash until the eggplant appears as a coarse mixture.
- Eggplant (¼ inch, thickly sliced), 1½ lb.
- Chopped ripe tomatoes, 1 lb.
- Oil, 3 tbsp.
- Ground coriander, 1½ tsp.
- Minced ginger, 1 tsp.
- Minced garlic, 1 tsp.
- Ground cumin, 1 tsp.
- Fennel seeds, ½ tsp.
- Cayenne pepper, ½ tsp.
- Mustard seeds, ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric, ¼ tsp.
- Salt to taste
- This grilled eggplant recipe is easy to make. Brush eggplant slices with oil and grill in a preheated oven turning once, until lightly browned.
- In a small dish, mix cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and salt.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Sputter fennel and mustard seeds. Then, add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and all the dry spice ingredients.
- Over low heat, cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add grilled eggplant slices and coat it well with the gravy.
Eggplant and Potato Curry
- Minced garlic, 1 clove
- Long-grain rice (cooked), 2 cups
- Small eggplant (cut into cubes), 1 cup
- Chopped tomatoes, ½ cup
- Chopped onions, ½ cup
- Small potato (cut into cubes), ½ cup
- Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Curry paste, 1½ tbsp.
- Chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp.
- In a saucepan, heat oil, add onions, and sauté until soft.
- Add garlic and curry paste and stir until you feel the paste has become aromatic.
- Add the eggplant, potato, tomatoes, and ¼ cup water.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, and let it simmer.
- Season with salt and simmer until the vegetables are tender and cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Garam masala is an integral ingredient in most Indian recipes. It is basically a mixture of grounded spices (black and green cardamom, cloves, peppercorn, star anise, cinnamon, etc.), and the quantity of each spice may vary depending upon the dish prepared. Each spice enhances the flavor and lends taste to the food. So, get yourself some good quality garam masala and enjoy these Indian delicacies!