The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. One hears tales of how a recipe won a man's heart, "Oh!, he was floored by my cooking!" stories and how a sinful aroma can bring a smile on the face of even the most Neanderthal of men. There's an old joke that cavemen would choose prospective mates, based on the aromas wafting out of a cave!
And if you have a steady man in your life, once in a while remind him that the only kitchen in town worth eating at, is yours! For those of us who are not the creme a la creme of cooks, some easy meals to impress a guy are the need of the hour. Keep reading for cold, hot and mixed recipes, easy to make, easier to eat.
Meals to Impress a Guy - Salads
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups apples, diced
- 2 cups turkey, cooked and diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except the mayonnaise and salt.
- Add mayonnaise as needed to bind the ingredients. The salad should be thick, not liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and chill if needed.
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, skinned and roasted, then chopped
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (9 ounces) whole-kernel corn (no-salt variety), drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle Chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Firstly, prepare the salad's dressing in a separate container.
- Mix salt, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipotle Chile, sour cream and cilantro in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken, lettuce and other vegetables well.
- Using a spoon, lightly drizzle dressing over the salad, then toss gently and serve.
- 12 ounces roast beef, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat's cheese, crumbled
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 small lettuce heads, torn into thin pieces
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix vegetables, beef and cheese.
- In a different bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, oil and ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Over the salad, drizzle this syrup generously, tossing the salad from time to time.
Mixed Fare Meals that Men Love
- 400g spaghetti
- 200g flat pancetta, sliced into thin strips
- ⅔ cup or 50g Parmesan, grated
- 3 eggs and 1 extra yolk
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 100 ml thick cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Saute pancetta over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- When pancetta turns crisp, add chopped garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat and leave to cool.
- Cook spaghetti as per packet's instructions, drain and keep aside.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, yolk, Parmesan and cream.
- Add salt and pepper as desired, then mix gently with a fork.
- In a cooking pan over low heat, combine egg-Parmesan paste and pancetta.
- Add spaghetti and parsley. Toss lightly to mix pasta and sauce.
- Let the sauce thicken, so that the egg will cook over the pasta. Stir pasta from time to time. Serve hot.
- 2 tomatoes, diced into small wedges
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced into thick strips
- 75g cheddar cheese, grated
- 30g butter (unsalted)
- Set the grill on high heat. In a non-stick pan, melt the butter at medium heat.
- Fry the mushrooms and tomatoes for 3-4 minutes, stirring in the middle.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. Add cheese and parsley. Stir well.
- Then add the cooked mushrooms and tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- At medium heat, melt butter in a pan and add the egg mixture. Stir briefly, leave it to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Check if the frittata is golden underneath.
- Place pan under grill for 3-4 minutes, such that the top of the frittata is golden and set.
- Place the frittata on a board, divide it into half and serve hot.
- 2-4 eggs (Opt for 1 or 2 eggs per person)
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (10 ounce sized can)
- ½ can refried or black beans
- Preheat the oven to 300º F. Place the tortillas on top of each other, wrap them in foil and warm them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cook the beans in a saucepan such that they simmer and bubble.
- In another pan, heat the enchilada sauce such that it simmers. Form a well of sauce around each egg.
- Crack the egg into the well, cover it with the sauce well. Do this for each egg being used.
- Cover the pan. Let the eggs cook for 5-7 minutes, depending on how soft you want the yolks.
- On a plate, place 2 tortillas, spoon a generous amount of beans on them. Then spoon the eggs on the beans.
- Garnish with enchilada sauce. You can be creative and use toppings like grated cheddar, sour cream and salsa.
Oven-baked Meals to Cook for a Man
- 2 packets frozen cheese ravioli, 30 ounce size (do not thaw the ravioli)
- 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 8 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 1 jar pasta sauce, 26 ounce
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking tray. Layer the bottom with 1/3 of the pasta sauce.
- On the sauce, place 12 ravioli and sprinkle the chopped spinach over them.
- Add half of Parmesan, then add half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place another layer of ravioli and spoon the leftover sauce and cheese over it.
- Cover the dish with foil and place it in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Take out the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes till the cheese on top starts to bubble.
- 12 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
- 2 cups dark chicken meat, pre-cooked and shredded
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, diced
- 1½ cup green salsa
- 1½ cup "Mexican blend" cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Place 4 tortillas at the bottom of the pan.
- Top tortillas with 1 cup of shredded chicken, ½ cup of salsa, 1/3 cup of sour cream, half of the diced chilies and ½ cup of cheese.
- Place another layer of 4 tortillas on top of this layer.
- Top once again with the same amounts of chicken, chilies, cheese, salsa and sour cream.
- Make a last layer of tortillas and top it with remaining quantity of chicken and other ingredients.
- Bake pie for 30-40 minutes, until cheese topping starts to bubble and turn brown.