Although Germany is not a very large country, there are different styles of cooking used in different parts of the country. The German cuisine has emerged from centuries of socio-political changes that the nation has gone through. There are certain German food recipes, which are similar to some from the neighboring German speaking nations.
Meat, fish, and vegetables make for the staple diet of Germany. In the meat, it is pork which is very popular as compared to beef and poultry. Rice, noodles, and different breads are commonly consumed for breakfast and dinner. Breads are normally eaten during lunch, which apparently is the most important meal of the day. Potatoes are also a staple with the Germans. They are made in a variety of ways.
- 6 medium size Potatoes
- ⅓ cup, wheat flour
- 1 medium-sized Onion
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon, salt
- Cooking oil
- Peel the potatoes and grate them.
- Grate the onion in the same bowl as well.
- Beat the eggs lightly and keep aside.
- Add flour and salt to the grated potato and onion mixture.
- Then, pour in the beaten eggs to make pancake batter.
- Heat a frying pan and grease it with cooking oil.
- Take a ladle of the batter and spread it in a circle to make a thin pancake.
- Let the pancake cook for a couple of minutes, till the edges are crispy and golden brown in color.
- Flip it over to the other side and let it cook, till golden brown in color.
- Remove the pancake from the frying pan and serve immediately.
- 3-4 boiled potatoes
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon, flour
- 1 tablespoon, mustard
- ¼ cup, chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons, fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup, apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon, sugar
- ½ teaspoon, salt
- ¼ teaspoon, pepper
- ½ cup, water
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Sauté the bacon in a frying pan, till it is crisp.
- Use the bacon drippings to sauté the onions. The onions should become translucent.
- Add flour to the onions and stir till well mixed.
- Now, add water to the mixture and continue to stir till the flour thickens.
- Add mustard, apple cider vinegar to the mixture and mix well.
- Celery, parsley, salt, sugar, pepper, and potatoes can now be added.
- Stir so that the potato pieces are coated well with the mixture.
- Remove from heat and serve the warm salad immediately.
- 4 potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices bacon
- ¼ cup, milk
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon, butter
- Salt as per taste
- freshly ground black pepper as per taste
- Cook the potatoes, skin them and cut them into small pieces.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Take a frying pan to fry the bacon till it is crisp.
- Discard the bacon fat and add butter to the frying pan.
- Sauté the onion in the butter till it is soft and translucent.
- Follow-up the onions with cut potatoes. Let the potatoes brown a little.
- Till the potatoes are done, beat the eggs with salt, pepper, and milk.
- Add bacon to the onion potato mixture and stir well.
- Then, pour the egg batter over the potato mixture and continue to stir till well cooked.
- Serve hot.