Apart from all other things, Italy is famous for Cannoli; an essential part of the Sicilian cuisine. Looking back in time, these desserts were prepared as mouth-watering treats during the Carnevale season. Cannoli refers to two or more pastries and cannolo refers to a single treat.
- Cannoli shells - 6
- Heavy cream - 2 cups
- Shelled hazelnuts - 1 cup
- Vanilla - ½ teaspoon
- Pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped - ¼ cup
- Granulated sugar - ½ cup
- Confectioners' sugar
- Fill the baking sheet with some hazel and toast for 15-18 minutes, in a preheated oven at 350 ºF.
- Get rid of the brown skins of the nuts. You can do this by rubbing them in a kitchen towel.
- Thereafter, crack the nuts, keeping them enclosed in the towel.
- Now, take a medium bowl and using an electric mixer, whip some cream until thick.
- Then, beat in some granulated sugar and the vanilla.
- Fold in the cracked nuts and pistachios.
- Now, all you have to do is to stuff the cannoli shells with the nut cream.
- Salt - 1/8 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Cannoli molds
- Pistachios, chopped - ¼ cup
- Nut-flavored liqueur - 5 teaspoons
- Ricotta - 1 pound
- Heavy cream - ½ cup
- Candied fruit, finely chopped - ¼ cup
- Chocolate, semi-sweet, melted - ½ cup
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Get the flour, sugar, and salt together and mix them in a bowl.
- Now, get the wine and mixing it gradually into the dry ingredients, make a dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic. Keep it for about an hour, to let it rest at room temperature.
- Thereafter, sprinkle some flour on the surface where you have to roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- After you have rolled it out, cut out rounds 5 inches in diameter.
- Now wrap each of the cuts onto a cannoli mold.
- Seal off the edges with egg white.
- Now, put some oil on medium heat in a saute pan and fry the cannoli until golden brown and crisp.
- Get them out of the pan and let them drain out in paper towels. Let them cool down, before you slip the molds from the cannoli.
- Next, you can carry out the filling process. Whip the cream in a mixing bowl and fold in the ricotta.
- Working it with a rubber spatula until creamy. Now, you may fold in the sugar, the liqueur and the fruit.
- Get the shells and starting from one end, stuff the cannoli with the ricotta filling you have just made.
- Ensure that the mid section is filled completely.
- Give both ends a generous dip in the melted chocolate, followed by a dip in the pistachios.
- You can dry up the ricotta cheese by draining it in a colander, overnight. Make a mix out of the sugar and vanilla.
- Beat this with an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes.
- Fold in some of the chocolate chips. Use these to filling up the cannoli or between the cake layers.