When cooking for a big group of people, combo appetizers are good options. Keep in mind that you have to cook a lot of food before the arrival of guests and, therefore, time management is of utmost importance. Have a look at these easy-to-make appetizers that can be served to a large group of people who are dropping in.
Dips and Spreads
Roasted Red Pepper DipIngredients
- Red peppers, 2 (large, roasted, sliced)
- Garlic clove, 1
- Lemon juice, yield of ½ a lemon
- Cannellini beans, 1 15-oz. can (drained and rinsed)
- Greek yogurt, 6 oz. (plain, full-fat)
- Feta cheese, 2½ oz.
- Basil leaves, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp.
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a blender, throw in the garlic clove, lemon juice, cannellini beans, Greek yogurt, feta cheese, and the basil leaves.
- Blend until you have a smooth mixture.
- Now use a rubber scraper to scrape the mixture down the blender sides and pour the olive oil gradually. Blend again.
- Once done, add the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the dip and serve with a platter full of wafers or nachos.
Piña Colada Fruit DipIngredients
- Pineapple crush, 8 oz. (undrained)
- Instant coconut pudding, 3½ oz.
- Pie filling mix, 3½ oz.
- Milk, 3½ oz.
- Dairy sour cream, ½ cup
- Blend crushed pineapple juice and milk in a processor.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Pour the cream over it and serve it chilled with assorted fruits.
Marshmallow Fluff DipIngredients
- Marshmallow fluff, 1 container
- Cream cheese, 1 18-oz. stick
- Orange juice, 2 glass
- Use a hand mixer to mix cream cheese, marshmallow pulp, and orange juice.
- Cool it inside the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Serve it chilled with a variety of fruits, like watermelon, strawberry, honeydew, and cantaloupe.
Angels and Devils on HorsebackIngredients
For the Angels,
- Oysters, 18 (separated from their shells)
- Rashers/Canadian smoked streaky bacon, 9 (halved)
- White pepper
For the Devils,
- Prune d'Agen, 18 (soft)
- Rashers/Canadian unsmoked streaky bacon, 9
- Mango chutney, 9 tsp.
For the Angels,
- Season each oyster with white pepper and the wrap each one in half a Rasher.
- Secure each roll with a toothpick. You can actually also secure two rolls using one toothpick.
- Grill both sides for 3 minutes each. It is ready once the bacon is fully cooked.
For the Devils,
- Make a slit on every prune and fill it up with ½ a teaspoon of mango chutney. Wrap each prune up in a Rasher and secure with a toothpick. Bake for 3 minutes on each side.
Serve these atop buttered toast.
- Flour tortillas, 10
- Onion, 5 (sliced)
- Cream cheese, 8 oz. (softened)
- Black olives, 4½ oz. (chopped)
- Green chillies, 4½ oz. (chopped)
- Chicken breasts, 2½ cups (cooked, shredded)
- Cheddar cheese, 1½ cups (grated)
- Beat cream cheese until it becomes smooth.
- Stir onion, olives, cheese, and chicken into the mixture.
- Spread it over the flour tortillas and then roll them up.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap. Chill for 2 hours and then discard a portion from the ends.
- Serve it with sour cream and guacamole.
- Eggs, 6 (hard-boiled)
- Celery, 1 stalk (small)
- Mayonnaise, 3 tsp.
- Dry Mustard, 1 tsp.
- Butter, for frying
- Paprika, a healthy sprinkling
- Slice the eggs lengthwise in two halves.
- Scoop out the yolks, mash them, and then add the mayonnaise, celery, and dry mustard to them. Mix well.
- Fry the egg whites in butter. They should be fried slightly.
- Once the whites are done, stuff the hollow side with the mashed yolk by transferring the filling with a spoon.
- Now sprinkle the eggs with paprika and serve.
Mini Corn DogsIngredients
- Mini sausages, 1 16-oz. packet
- Vegetable oil, 4 cups
- Buttermilk, 1¼ cups
- Cornmeal, 1 cup
- Flour, ¾ cup
- Sugar, 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp.
- Kosher salt, 1½ tsp.
- Baking powder, ¾ tsp.
- Baking soda, ¼ tsp.
- Cayenne, ¼ tsp.
- First, mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, Kosher salt, baking powder, baking soda, and the cayenne thoroughly.
- Next, commingle about 3 tablespoons of water with the buttermilk.
- Now pour the liquid concoction into the dry mixture and whisk well. You will get a mixture full of lumps. That is alright.
- Pour the mixture into a glass and let the mixture stand undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a deep, 8-quart pot.
- Pierce every mini sausage with a toothpick in a manner that at least 1 inch of it remains exposed.
- Stir the liquid mixture once, dip each mini sausage in the batter while holding on to the toothpick, and the fry not more than three mini sausages at a time.
- Use a slotted spatula to turn the sides and fry until richly golden.
Serve it with a bowl of mustard sauce on a platter lined with paper napkins.
Curried Chicken Almond RollsIngredients
- Brown sandwich bread, 18 slices
- Onion, 2 (chopped)
- Chicken, 1 cup (cooked, chopped)
- Mayonnaise, 1 cup
- Monterey cheese, ¾ cup (shredded)
- Almonds, ⅓ cup (finely chopped)
- Butter, ¼ cup (molten)
- Parsley, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Curry powder, 2 tsp.
- Lemon juice, ½ tsp.
- Combine all the ingredients except the bread, mix them well, and fry on low heat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Trim the sides of the bread slices and spread the chicken mixture on them. Roll up the bread slices.
- Cut the rolled piece from the center and then secure with a toothpick.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet and brush both sides with melted butter.
- Bake at 375° F for 15 minutes and then serve hot.
- Serve with sauce and fries.
Cheddar Cheese MushroomsIngredients
- Cheddar cheese, 2 sticks (grated)
- Onion, 1 (finely chopped)
- Mushrooms, 1 lb.
- Bread crumbs, ½ cup (fresh)
- Walnuts, ½ cup
- Chopped parsley leaves, ½ cup
- Butter, 6 tsp.
- Salt, ¼ tsp.
- Roast the walnuts until they release aroma. Let them cool and then chop finely into pieces.
- Now heat the butter once again to sauté the stems of the mushrooms.
- Now, melt butter in a frying pan and put the mushroom tops in it.
- Once fried enough, chop the stems up, mix these with the onion, salt, and walnuts, and stuff the mushroom caps with this mixture.
- Roll the stuffed mushroom tops in bread crumbs.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking dish.
- Shred cheddar cheese on the stuffed mushrooms such that you cover them well.
- Bake them for sometime till the cheese melts and the mushrooms turn golden brown.
- Top with parsley or some salad and sauce of your choice. Serve it hot.
With these options at hand, lack of variety should not be a problem for you anymore. I'm sure your guests will relish these scrumptious preparations.