Trifle puddings are a great time savers and life savers when it comes to serving a large crowd at a house party. This is an extremely easy recipe to make and can be served with myriad permutations and combinations. You can use cakes, fruits, ice creams, and even alcoholic concoctions to make your trifle puddings. This multilayered dessert is not only delicious but also an attractive culinary work of art.
Custard Trifle with Milk
- 1 fresh vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 500 ml full-fat milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 80 g castor sugar
- Pour the milk in a saucepan and add the vanilla essence to it. Bring it to boil and set it aside until its required.
- Pour the eggs in a large bowl and mix the castor sugar. With a hand whisk, whisk the mixture until it is thick. After beating the eggs, the color of the yolks will be paler than earlier.
- If you have added the vanilla seeds to the milk then sieve the milk and add it to the egg and castor sugar mixture. If you've just added the essence then there's no need to sieve it. Add it directly.
- Place this mixture on a pan and cook it slowly on a low heat. Keep stirring it continuously with a wooden spoon, until it is thick.
- This will take about 10 minutes to get cooked.
Fruit Custard Recipe
- 400 g low fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cashew nuts
- 6 seedless grapes, slit into 2
- 12 raisins
- 2 tablespoons cubed mango
- 2 tablespoons diced apple
- 2 tablespoons orange pieces
- 1 banana sliced
- Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar till the mixture is thick and pale.
- Simmer the milk and vanilla essence till it begins to boil.
- Add the egg yolks and castor sugar mixture to it and heat for a couple of minutes till it gets thick.
- Remove it from heat.
- Make a layer of all the fruits in a bowl and add a ladle of custard on top of it. And let it refrigerate until you serve it.
Baked Custard Recipe
- 3 eggs
- ½ a cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 300 ml cream
- Ground nutmeg
- Sliced peaches, to serve with
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs and the castor sugar in a bowl till it fluffy and pale.
- Now add vanilla extract, milk and cream, to the sugar and egg, and whisk it until one.
- Place this mixture in an oven proof vessel and sprinkle some nutmeg on top of it.
- Pour some hot water over it and bake it for about 30-40 minutes.
You can also make many such combinations once you've mastered the art of making custard. To make this even more convenient, you can try the custard packs available in the markets too. They come in powder form and all you need to do it is just bring them to boil with milk and sugar. With a little practice, surely you'll be able to serve these delectable desserts! Bon appétit!