Sandwiches are snacks that are loved by people of all ages, all over the world. Nothing can beat sandwiches, when it comes to family gatherings, picnics, long distance road travels or everyday breakfast. It is an easy to make meal for the students and singles, who don't have much time and patience for cooking. There are innumerable types of sandwiches that are eaten all around the globe. In 'Miami', Florida, the Latino Cuban grilled sandwiches filled with ham and cheese are very popular. It is also known as cubano. The Cubans settled in south Florida in the early 20th century. Earlier, these sandwiches were known as 'sandwich mixto'. The sandwiches were popular amongst the Cuban workers at sugar factories in Cuba. Later, the traditional Cuban sandwich recipes were altered according to the needs and tastes of the people in Italy, Spain and America. Cuban Sandwich has now become an icon of Pop-Americana food culture.
Ingredients in Cuban Sandwich
- Cuban bread
- Cuban roll
- Yellow mustard
- Roast pork
- Glazed ham
- Swiss cheese
- Thinly sliced dill pickles
- Pork marinated in mojo and then slowly roasted
- Genoa salami
- Jarlsberg cheese
- Yeast, bread flour and water to make Cuban bread
- Pan criollo, a crusty French bread, if Cuban bread is not available.
- Sweet ham
- Green bell pepper
- Small bread made from a sweet egg dough called 'medianoche', meaning midnight sandwich.
- Black peppercorns
- Spanish olive oil
- Bay leaves
- Chicken broth
- Green salad or vegetables for decoration
- Sections of fresh fruits for decoration
After assembling the ingredients between the bread slices, the sandwich is lightly toasted in a sandwich press called plancha, which is almost similar to other presses, but it comes without grooved surfaces. The sandwiches are heated and compressed in the plancha until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted. A Cuban sandwich is usually cut into two diagonal halves before serving. There is no need to worry about how to make a Cuban sandwich recipe. You can try various alternative combinations of the Cuban sandwich ingredients and enjoy a variety of sandwiches. Here is a cuban sandwich recipe for you.
Cuban Pork Sandwich
- One loaf of Cuban bread. If it is not available, Italian or French bread can be used.
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced baked ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced roasted pork
- Dijon mustard
- 8-9 thin dill pickle slices
- Green salad leaves and a red cherry with a toothpick
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes.
- Slice the Cuban bread horizontally, so that, it can be easily opened for filling.
- Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard on top and bottom halves of the Cuban bread.
- Fill the bread with sliced ham, sliced pork, Swiss cheese and sliced pickle. Arrange the ingredients evenly and attractively.
- Press the two halves of the bread against each other. The sandwich should be flattened to 1/4th of its original size at the time of serving.
- Grill the sandwich in a hot buttered sandwich griller, till the cheese has melted and the bread has turned brown.
- Serve the sandwich hot (it can be served cold also) after decorating it with green salad and pressing a red cherry on top of it with the help of a toothpick.
- If you like, you can add tomato or onion slices in the above filling.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes.
Cuban sandwiches are easy to make. This is a snack that both children and adults love to eat. If you are a cooking enthusiast, you can add other ingredients to lend a unique flavor to these sandwiches.