Are you among those who cannot live without their cheesy garlic bread, or cannot resist garlic shrimp scampi, anytime? Garlic is used in a variety of dishes in different forms, for its aroma as well as flavor. Apart from the flavor, it has several health benefits. Crushed, minced garlic, chopped, are the different ways to use garlic.
How to Crush a Garlic
Garlic is used in sauces, dips, veggie dishes, etc. Usually, it is crushed so that it mixes well with other ingredients. Here is the proper way of crushing a garlic.
- Peel the garlic skin with your nail or with a garlic peeler. If not, use the following method for peeling a garlic clove.
- Place the garlic clove on a chopping board. Now place the knife flat on the clove (the edges should be at sides).
- With your palm, press on the clove so that the peel will come out on its own. Take it out completely.
- Next, chop the peeled garlic as finely as possible with the knife. Pile up the chopped garlic together.
- Next, make the knife flat again and press on the chopped garlic. The chopped garlic may scatter. You need to gather it and press the knife on it again to crush it properly.
- Repeat the process for some time to make finely crushed garlic.
- During the process, you can even sprinkle some salt on it so as to soak up the juices from the garlic. However, this is an optional process. (While cooking, you need to remember that you have sprinkled salt on the garlic)
Crushed vs Minced Garlic
Minced, crushed, or chopped, each of the processes are used to add different degrees of flavor and aroma to the dish. Crushed garlic is used to add very strong flavor and aroma. It is usually added to a dish in the absence of any other flavor, as this flavor overpowers any other flavor, as in case of garlic bread. On the other hand, minced garlic (cut garlic) adds lesser pungent flavor than the crushed one. Minced garlic is usually used in stir-fry dishes. Lastly, chopped garlic is used to add very little flavor as it does not get mixed up easily with the dish, and hence, does not add a strong flavor.
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf of French/Italian bread
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan/cheddar cheese
Once you get to know the right technique, you can use garlic while making pasta, bread, and other dishes. It has been proven that garlic is specifically good for the heart, therefore, make sure you include it in your diet regularly. Good luck!