Ever thought of a meal, especially dinner without a soup? I mean, picture this. You have invited a few guests over for lunch or dinner. Wouldn't you be in a big soup if you have no soup for starters? (pun intended!). Never mind, the bottom line is that soup is a fabulous appetizer and is an inevitable part of a meal. You cannot ignore it, even if you want to! Hence it is essential to have an in depth knowledge of soup recipes, especially tomato soups, to add to your culinary skills. So then, for the time being, the answer to what's cooking, is tomato soup as here is a low down on creamy tomato soup recipe!
Recipe for Fresh Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 large fresh Florida tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill weed or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and melt the butter in it.
- Add celery and onion and make a saute over medium heat, for around 5 minutes.
- Keep on stirring so that it does not get brown. Rather do not let it get too brown.
- Stir the tomatoes, add sugar and simmer it after covering it and cook for around 6 - 8 minutes. Cook till they become soft.
- Make a smooth puree out of the vegetables in a food processor.
- Put the puree back again on the saucepan and stir it.
- Heat the soup thoroughly and add seasoning for taste. There you are - you have made creamy tomato soup recipe with fresh tomatoes.
Recipe for Homemade Cream of Tomato Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 200 gm carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- 750 gm ripe plums or vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 ml passata
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml single cream
- Dry sherry
- Crusty bread and butter, to serve.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan and cook the onion over gentle heat, till it softens but do not allow it to get brown.
- Now add the celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme to the onion.
- Cook for around 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, to avoid vegetables from sticking to the base.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar. Follow this by seasoning them properly with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the passata and vegetable stock and cook for a few minutes.
- Reduce the flame, cover the mixture and let it cook for around 30 minutes, till the vegetables become tender.
- Removing the bay leaf and thyme, blend the soup in a food processor.
- In case you want the soup to be really smooth, pass it through a sieve and then comes the cream, splash of sherry and seasoning, as per requirement.
- Pour into bowls and then serve with the bread.
Recipe for Creamy Tomato Soup with Cream Cheese
- 2 (29 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ lb. of chopped mushrooms
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper,
- 1 tbsp. of margarine
- 2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. of white sugar
- Beef stock
- ½ tsp. of dried basil
- ½ tsp. of dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. of dried thyme
- 1 (3 oz.) package of cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 baked potatoes (depending on the quantity of soup)
- Take a buttered baking dish and put tomatoes in it.
- Add celery, garlic and red pepper and cook for around 25 minutes after covering this mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter on a medium flame and cook mushrooms and onion over medium flame for around 8 minutes.
- To this after it gets cooked, add sugar, beef stock, flour, basil, thyme and rosemary.
- Keep this mixture stirring constantly till it boils and then add baked potatoes, letting it boil again.
- Cover this and let it cook for around 30 minutes and while it cooks, blend the cream cheese in a bender.
- Once it becomes all creamy and yummy, add it to the soup. Before you serve this lip smacking soup piping hot, add salt and pepper.
Pick any one creamy tomato soup recipe from these and make a great starter for your meal. Happy cooking and eating!