Turkey breast is one of the best choices for those who prefer to eat food that is high in nutritional value. This dish can be a real feast for those who don't intend to use the whole turkey at once. There are many delicacies that can be made out of the turkey and the turkey breast, to serve on the occasion of Thanksgiving and on any other day for that matter! Turkey breast can be cooked using several cooking methods. It can be cooked in an oven, crock pot, or even a slow cooker. A crock pot gives the turkey breast a moist, juicy texture. Here are the instructions that you need to follow.
- First of all, look for medium or small-sized turkey breast that is thin and long in size, rather than heavy.
- Also, remember that frozen meat takes at least 4 days to get thawed, so don't buy frozen turkey breast just before the day of cooking.
- Many companies tend to place gravy packages inside the breast, so look for those packages and remove them, if any.
- Turkey breast, 5 lb.
- Turkey or chicken broth, 2 cans
- Butter, ½ cup
- Chopped celery stocks, 3
- Onion soup, 1 package
- Milk, 1 cup
- Flour, ¼ cup
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Additional butter, 4 tablespoons
- A jar with lid
- Rub the turkey breast with some generous amount of butter and place it in the crock pot.
- Put some of the butter under the skin as well.
- Place the chopped celery around the turkey breast and pour dry onion soup mix over the meat in crock pot.
- Pour the broth over the turkey breast and make sure all the dry stuff is wet enough already.
- You can also use chicken broth, if turkey broth is hard to find or unavailable.
- Cover up the crock pot with the lid. Cooking time for turkey breast in crock pot is at least 8 to 10 hours when cooked over the maximum heat of 180 °C.
- Prepare a casserole dish and remove the cooked turkey breast into it.
- Strain the remaining turkey broth from the crock pot to remove any bones that might be present.
- Take the jar and add milk, flour, pepper, and salt into it and shake it well with the lid on.
- Whisk this mixture over the turkey breast stock and cook till the time of serving it.
- While cooking it, don't forget to stir it from time to time.
- You can serve it with any stuffing, as well as with rice or crusty bread (if you are not serving it on the occasion of Thanksgiving).