Are you lost? Lost in thoughts of biting into a juicy piece of tofu? Do you dream of succulent tofu melting in your mouth, but are not aware of how to prepare tofu, leave alone the question of how to cook tofu? All right, I sense your condition. Let me help you transform your tofu imaginations into a delectable chew.
Tofu is a delicious and delightful preparation appreciated by one and all. Tofu is an ingredient that could be added to a number of dishes. The dishes that accommodate tofu as its main component are countless. Tofu, also known as bean yogurt, looks like cheese. Soy milk is curdled in order to prepare tofu. Tofu has a galore of health benefits to offer. It is nutritious, packed with vitamin B and iron, and is also a rich source of protein.
Moreover, low-fat content and cholesterol free composition adds to the health benefits of tofu. A number of varieties are available to tickle your taste buds, however the most common forms are firm and soft tofu. Savory preparations require a firm tofu, on the other hand soft tofu, that has a creamy and saucy texture, is perfect for concocting sauces and dressings.
How to Cook Tofu
- Prepare your kitchen counter with ingredients: tofu, cooking oil, frying pan, paper towels, spatula, knife, and cutting board.
- Once you have your counter fully equipped, you can now begin to prepare tofu. Firm tofu is required for the preparation of the dish. The firm tofu pack should be slit from the seam. To retain the shape of the tofu block, the tofu has to be well-drained.
- Now press the firm tofu in order to improve its texture. To press tofu, wrap the tofu block in paper towels and place it on the cutting board. Place heavy items such as a flat pan or a little sack of tomatoes. This will aid the water to drain effectively.
- You must allow the tofu to remain in this position for about 30 minutes.
- Now remove the items stacked on top of the tofu block and make slices or cubes of the block.
- You could slice your tofu in different shapes as well. Apart from cubes, you could make triangles, steaks or even resort to mash it with your fingers. You could add this granular tofu in your hamburger cutlets and enjoy!
- Marinade your tofu with salt, spices and seasoning. Now leave the marinated tofu on its own for a while. This time will aid the tofu in sucking the spices and producing inherent flavors into the dish.
- If you have been waiting for the time when this article could describe how to cook tofu in a pan, then here is help coming your way. Place the frying pan on the stove and pre-heat it.
- Pour vegetable oil, sesame oil or olive oil into the pan. It's your choice.
- A tip that could help you get the tofu cooked properly. Add more oil to the pan so as to prevent the tofu from sticking together. You will also have a crisp exterior and a soft and tender interior.
- Cooking tofu for about 5 to 7 minutes in the pan is preferable. Turn them carefully from one side to the other in order to get a uniform brown color - a color that looks and feels crisp.
- Remove the tofu from the pan with your spatula and place them on paper towels; this will soak up the excess oil from the tofu pieces. Your tofu is ready. You could enjoy your tofu with your favorite dip, add to soups or an assortment of dishes to toss-up a savory and scrumptious flavor to your tofu meal.
There are several ways to cook tofu. You could pan fry or prepare baked tofu. By marinading the tofu in maple syrup, ginger garlic paste, ketchup, white vinegar, soy sauce and green chili sauce in a container, you are sure to receive blessings from your taste-buds. Mix the marinade thoroughly enough so that the juices have seeped into the tofu. Now place the tofu slices on the glass baking pan and drain the marinade on the tofu slices evenly.
Place the marinated tofu in the refrigerator, covered with an aluminum foil and let it remain in there for 7 to 8 hours. The oven needs to be preheated at 375 degree F. On a cookie sheet place the tofu slices one by one and bake them for around 30 minutes, flipping them over from one side to the other. Your baked tofu is waiting on the platter to be devoured!
Cooking tofu will no more be a far-fetched idea. You would also be able to dig into your homemade tofu with comfort, ease and delight. I am sure you are not lost anymore as I have shown you the path to preparing a penchant platter! Enjoy your lip-smacking tofu teasers!